Model 19S Forearm Slide

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

jhewitt
Beginner

Model 19S Forearm Slide

Post by jhewitt »

I recently inherited my grandpa’s Model 19S. It came to me without much history or maintenance records. I tried to clear the bolt over the top of the hammer. No luck. The forearm/forend slide wouldn’t move over the magazine tube. Adjusting the push button tube didn’t help either. Unfortunately, my local gunsmith in southern California wasn’t familiar with this old gun. And I’m not very knowledgeable about the mechanics so I needed some help. I’m less interested in shooting, but would really like to get the action working correctly. Any suggestions? I Appreciate your input.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Model 19S Forearm Slide

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Jhewlett;

The Marlin exposed hammer pump action shotguns have a "hang fire safety release" safety. In other words, the action either must be fired in order to open the action or the safety release operated in order to open the action. There are two different "hang fire safety release" systems on the Marlin shotgun. The first type had a small push button, on the right side of the receiver, up by the hammer that had to be pushed in and then the action could be opened. The second type (which I think the Model 19S utilized) has a small lever, on the right side, down by the trigger. You have to move the lever backward ( I think ) and then the action can be opened.
The "hang fire safety" is to prevent the action being opened to quickly if there is a misfired shell in the chamber. If the gun is fired, it "sets" the "hang fire safety" off automatically without having to set the safety off manually.
I hope this helps and works for you.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
jhewitt
Beginner

Post by jhewitt »

Thanks for responding. I mashed on the push button next to the hammer, but the receiver still won't budge. Any others suggestions?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Jhewlett;

For some reason, your breech bolt locking lug is not releasing to allow the action to open. What you may need to do is remove the screw that holds the cartridge lifter and remove the lifter from the action. It will come out through the bottom of the action. Then, you can stick your finger up towards the back of the breech bolt and push the locking bolt up so that it will clear the back of the receiver and that should allow you to open the action. From there, you may need to remove the breech bolt to see if it needs cleaning and a little oil so that it will work.
If that does not work, then you may have to disassemble the entire action. Be advised, these are a little on the tough side to work on, so take a look at the first post on this section of the website to see if that is something you want to do. The instructions are quite good and the pictures will help you a lot, so good luck....
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.