Model 1898 12g "C" Grade

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Country Nate
Beginner

Model 1898 12g "C" Grade

Post by Country Nate »

Hi,

I purchased this old gun at a show today because it was old, American, and I liked the engraving. Other than that, I know nothing about it except what I have read in a few posts on here. I paid $100 for it.

I think it is a C grade because it has three ducks on the left side of the receiver, and two look like Grouse the right side up on the bolt. Also a lot of nice arabesque scroll. It has 25 inch barrels with a bead. (probably cut, but I don't know). The serial number on the receiver is 41487, and on the barrel is 43744 C. Can someone please tell me the year made, and if that is correct barrel for the gun as it left the factory???

I assume the modern ammo is a no no. I'm a re-loader, and I was wondering if I loaded some light 2 1/2 low pressure for it? Would that be ok in your opinion??

Thank you in advance.

Nate
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Model 1898 12g "C" Grade

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Country Nate;

Congratulations on your purchase. The Marlin Model 1898 shotgun you purchased is correct as it left the factory. The old factory records show it is a Model 1898 C Grade gun with a 26 inch barrel, and was shipped in mid-1903. The barrel number is the matching barrel in the records as well.
When you measured the barrel, I assume that you measured to the breech bolt face to determine the length. Do not be alarmed that the barrel measures 25 inches instead of 26 inches. I have a 1898 C Grade gun that has a 27 inch barrel instead of the 28 that was the listed length in the catalogs. The fact that your barrel has the open choke marking (the C in the barrel serial number) would pretty much be correct for the "brush gun" barrel length of 26 inches.
If you are going to shoot the "ole girl", go through the safety checks listed in the first post in the shotgun section to insure your gun locks up properly. It MUST lock up completely to be safe to shoot. You may want to disassemble the gun and go through it and clean the action to be sure it will lock up properly each and every time. I will warn you though, they can be a bear to get back together.
Good luck.......
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Country Nate
Beginner

Post by Country Nate »

Thank You!

Nice to know some hack didnt cut the barrel.

I read the four safety checks. 2,3, and 4 checked out ok, but not sure about #1. I'll take the old girl apart and check everything out before I shoot the 2 1/2" low pressure.

Do you know if those are passenger pigeons engraved on the bolt. The more I look at it, the more it looks like a pigeon!

Thanks again, Nate
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Nate;

Yes, I do believe that the birds engraved on the breech bolt to be pideons. Good luck on the safety checks. It is important that it checks out correctly. Once the action is in correct working order, the action locks up very well. It is a strong action when locked up properly.

Country Nate
Beginner

Post by Country Nate »

Could you recommend a good gunsmith to check it out for me?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Nate;

I really do not know of any particular gunsmith to take a look at your shotgun. One fellow on this site took his to a gunsmith that said he could fix it, and proceeded to take it apart, then lose some of the parts. Naturally, the gunsmith could not put it back together without the parts he had lost, so our guy went and got it. He found someone who could work on it and purchased the missing parts and finally got his shotgun back in working order, even though he wanted it only to hang on the wall.
So, be sure anyone you find is capable before leaving the shotgun with them. There is no excuse for someone proclaiming to be a gunsmith that cannot work on these shotguns. They are a little complicated on the inside, but, with a little difficulty, I have put them back together when necessary. The first one I bought was in pieces when I got it and I got it back together withoout having ever seen one before, so it is possible.
Good luck!

Country Nate
Beginner

Post by Country Nate »

Thanks for all the good info, I appreciate it. I have decided to fix the old girl up, whatever it takes. I think its a beautiful gun, and a part of American history.