Early Marlin Model 16 Pump Shotgun

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

victorio1sw
Beginner

Early Marlin Model 16 Pump Shotgun

Post by victorio1sw » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:41 pm

After reading replies in this forum, what was thought to be a Marlin Model 30 slide action 16 gauge shotgun is actually an early production Model 16. The top of the barrel reads "Marlin Fire-Arms Co. New Haven CT. U.S.A. / Pat'd Nov 6, 1884, May 12, 1896, & June 2, 1896". Just in front of the receiver is "16. Ga.". The left side of the barrel is stamped "Special Smokeless Steel". There is no model stamped on the upper tang. This shotgun is engraved, with fancy wood, chequered pistol grip, and "Marlin" hard rubber buttplate. The serial number appears to be 114704. The number on the barrel does not match.

Are there any factory records on this shotgun? Would the Cody Museum have these records? When was it manufactured? What does the barrel number indicate? Are these safe to shoot? Are any screws and other parts available for this hammer shotgun?

Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Early Marlin Model 16 Pump Shotgun

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:44 pm

Victorio1sw;

Your Marlin Model 16 exposed hammer pump action shotgun most likely is a "C" Grade gun since it has the Special Smokeless Steel barrel. There are some records for the Marlin hammer shotguns, but not many. The existing records end at 67,000 in 1904, so your serial number is to high for the existing records. Cody will not be able to help. I would estimate your gun to have been made around 1910, which was the last year of production of the Model 16. A "C" Grade Model 16 would have sold for $43.00 in 1910.
The barrel serial number will never match the gun, but was listed with the receiver serial number in the records when the gun was shipped.
Numrich Gun Pars Corporation does have some parts for the early, exposed hammer shotguns, and many of the parts are interchangable from the 16 gauge and 12 gauge guns, so if you do not see the part you need listed in the Model 16 parts listing, check some of the 12 gauge listings.
These guns can be made safe to shoot, but only light loads. Check the very first post of the Shotgun Section for what is necessary to make the guns safe.
Good luck..........
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.

victorio1sw
Beginner

Post by victorio1sw » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:27 pm

Regnier (gunrunner)

I have noticed that in some previous replies in this forum that you have provided some essential information, such as the factory-recorded barrel number for a shotgun such as mine. Do you then have access to some Marlin factory records? Are you perhaps the author of the Marlin book?

I can send some pictures of my shotgun, but would only send them directly to you as a private email. Can you make this possible? I can provide my 50 year collecting resume, plus references, if you desire prior to any direct emailing.

Please advise.

Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:49 am

Victorio1sw;

I do have access to the old Marlin factory records for both lever action rifles made prior to 1906 and the Marlin pump action shotguns bwetween serial numbers 19,600 and 67,000. I am not the author of the Marlin book, but I did contribute to it and own some guns pictured in the book.
I will email you my email address if you want to send pictures of your "C" Grade Marlin shotgun. I have several shotguns myself.

victorio1sw
Beginner

Post by victorio1sw » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:51 pm

Regnier (gunrunner),

I have just now found your 3 replies. If you want to provide your email address, then we can exchange pictures.

In the meantime look at GunBroker Auction # 411226530. This SN 114699 is only 5 numbers from mine, and is identical in all features, including the engraving patterns. The barrel number on this one happens to match the frame SN.

I bought Brophy's book on Marlin firearms, but the section covering these shotguns seems very confusing (at least to me).

victorio1sw
Beginner

Post by victorio1sw » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:42 pm

Regnier (gunrunner)

I TRIED TO REPLY YESTERDAY, BUT DO NOT SEE MY POST ABOUT 24 HOURS LATER.

IF YOU CAN SUPPLY YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS, THEN WE CAN TRADE PICTURES. THERE IS A SHOTGUN ON GUNBROKER RIGHT NOW THAT IS EXACTLY LIKE MINE, AND WITH A SN VERY CLOSE TO MINE.

Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:31 pm

Victorio1sw;

Sorry for not responding sooner, I have been out of town. I emailed my email address to you.
I have seen the guns on Gun Broker, and are very nice guns. ( Model 24 D Grade and another engraved shotgun, the model I do not remember right now) Both look like very nice pieces for a collector to pick up.
I do find the matching serial number of the barrel and receiver interesting, but I am not sure that the barrel numbers are original to that barrel. They (the numbers) look a little suspicious to me.
Brophy's book can be a little confusing because his original intent was to write a book just on the lever guns. But management at Marlin insisted that he cover all aspects of the company and the product lines. Therefore, some material was gathered rather quickly, and in many cases incomplete or a little off the real world picture. If you have any specific questions, I would try to help.