Model 90 dates

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

bobster
Beginner

Model 90 dates

Post by bobster »

I'm the owner of a model 90-12ga that I have enjoyed for several years after receiving it from my father but I have some questions.

When did the start using the letter code in the serial number to identify the year?
My gun has a serial number of 11630. One online resource dated it back to the late 1800's which I know cant be true and the others are all looking for a letter code.
It's a beutifull gun with a bird dog ingraved on the action and hand carved "feathers" on both stocks. It has 2 triggers.

Any info is appreciated. I can provide pictures if that would help anyone...just let me know.
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

Brophy has six pages on the model 90 in his book. You may want to read up on it at your local library, there are a lot of variations that may help identify your shotgun. The 90 was a Sears model that they hired Marlin to produce and Marlin did so with the agreement they could make their own. The Sears models were the Ranger prior to WWII and JC Higgins after WWII. The Sears models were under the 103. x, or xx or xxx, or xxxx. Production started in 1936, early guns were double triggers. Marlin put them out under their name at the same time. In addition to the the 12 ga they were done in 16, 20, 410, and in shotgun/rifle mostly in the 410/22Hornet, 218Bee, and a few (not produced) 30-30 -20ga.
I know this doesn't answer the year question but they were produced into the late fifties.
GBOT, GBUSA
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

The double trigger feature narrows it down a bit. The barrels may be 'open' on the sides - that will also be a clue. As will barrel length. If you wouldn't mind measuring your barrels, I'll give it a shot.

You might wish to closely examine the serial number with a magnifyer to see if there is a poorly-struck letter or if the first '1' might be part of a letter. SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!
bobster
Beginner

Post by bobster »

Double trigger, barrels are not open on the sides, I'll get a measurement on the barrells soon. I exhausted, just returned from a sporting clays event, shot the marlin on the second round as a matter of fact.

The serial number does not have a letter, its clearly stamped on the gun in several places(the action, inside of the forestock etc)

The markings on the barrell are only those of marlin firearms and no mention of the "ranger or JC Higgins"

SteveW I see your a fellow husker, nice to meet ya.

Thanks to both of you for helping me on this question.