Want to know more about this Marlin 12 ga Pump model 21

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

nukid
Beginner

Want to know more about this Marlin 12 ga Pump model 21

Post by nukid »

Hi
I recently inherited this Marlin 12 ga pump model 21 S/N 138711 from my dad and I would like to know more about the do's & don't on how to operate this gun. What is the smallest to the largest shell can I put in it. When was it built. If an operating manual is available. Thanks
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Want to know more about this Marlin 12 ga Pump model 21

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Nukid;

The Marlin Model 21, exposed hammer, pump action shotgun was made from 1907 to 1908. It was only listed in the catalogs for 2 years when it was replaced by the new, Marlin Trap Gun. The Model 21 was the first straight grip shotgun with a takedown system. It was made in four (4) different grades, the standard or A grade, the C grade which was a better grade with checkered stocks and a smokeless steel barrel, the even better C grade that had checkered fancy walnut stocks, a smokeless steel barrel and factory engraved receiver, and then the best grade or D grade that had even better checking on Circassian walnut stocks, better factory engraving on the receiver, gold plated trigger and screws and a Damascus barrel. It was considered Marlin's first "trap" gun with the straight grip stock and all the extras.
The Model 21 is a 12 gauge shotgun, and the chamber will only handle the 2 5/8 inch shell.
To operate the action, you have to push the little button at the upper right side of the receiver, then the pump handle can be operated. If you can open the action without pushing the button, do not shoot your gun as it is not safe. The little button is a "hang fire safety release". The gun must have been fired to open the action without pushing the button.
The only operating manual will be in either a 1907 or 1908 Marlin catalog. Reproductions are available at Cornell Publishing for about $15.00 each.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
nukid
Beginner

Post by nukid »

Thank You for the info. However I made a mistake in the model number. After a closer look (magnifying glass) I can see a model 24 struck in the metal not 21. Does this make a major difference in your comment. Sorry ....Can you add more info on the model 24...
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Nukid;

Yep, there is a difference between the Model 21 and 24. The Model 24 was made from 1908 to 1917. It is a takedown, pistol grip version of the Marlin exposed hammer pump action shotgun. Early Model 24's have the first style, push button hang fire safety release whereas, later guns made after about 1915 had the newer style lever style release system that is down by the trigger guard. Otherwise, most of the information about the Model 21 will apply to the Model 24, except for the trap info. When the Model 24 came out, that is when Marlin started making a model called "Trap Gun" that more or less a straight grip Model 24. There was also a straight grip version with a shorter barrel called the "Field Gun". Both the Trap Gun and Field Gun had checkered Circassian walnut stocks with a dull London oil finish.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
nukid
Beginner

Post by nukid »

Thank You
Can you confirm the following:
"The Model 21 is a 12 gauge shotgun, and the chamber will only handle the 2 5/8 inch shell." also applies for the model 24.
Better safe then sorry.....
Thanks again