Confirm this is an 1898 and could use some info.

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Big_Racks
Beginner

Confirm this is an 1898 and could use some info.

Post by Big_Racks »

Hi all,

Great site, looks like tons of helpful info on here. My buddy bought an old house as a rental property and found this stuffed up in the attic a couple of years later. I told him I'd try and gather some more info for him.

Looks like an 1898? Has the exposed hammer, the push button release beside the hammer (although this button seems seized). It was taken down and stored in this old take down case, falling apart at the seams and missing the top half. Also had 2 pcs. of an old cleaning rod, he's going to have a closer look to try and find more pieces that may have fallen out in the attic.

Shotgun has a small chip out of the barrel threading but it still threaded onto the receiver okay, just doesn't quite line up when you tighten the barrel all the way on (you have to back it up about 1/8"-1/16" to make the guide rod (ejector?) from the pump slide into the receiver - so the barrel isn't properly tightened on then to the stop. Also, the plug,rear of the mag doesn't sit flush to the receiver when the barrel is tightened on, it sits about 1/8" proud from the front of the receiver. Also is missing the front cap on the magazine, although the rest of it seems to be intact (spring, follower, etc...).

Serial number on the receiver is 642xx. Can't find serial stamp on the barrel, nor the choke designation (looks to be cylinder bore to me). Barrel is 30", and stamped 12 ga. directly in front of the receiver, then has the Marlin, New Haven stamp further up, along with patent stamps Nov 6, 1894, May 12, 1896, June 2, 1896.

Looks like the original Marlin buttplate is intact, and the wood is in decent shape, scratches, etc... but no cracks.

I'm going to tell him it's basically a wall hanger. He's not a hunter nor firearms enthusiast so I'll probably end up either buying it from him for my wall, or selling it for him. Approximate value? I'm leaning more towards selling it for him, $75-$100 for a wall hanger?

Here are a couple of pics, including the pcs of cleaning rod and the half case.

Thanks in advance for your help :D .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/ ... C_0019.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/ ... C_0020.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/ ... C_0010.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/ ... C_0022.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/ ... C_0021.jpg
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Confirm this is an 1898 and could use some info.

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Big_Racks;

Very nice grouping. That ole Marlin Model 1898 is worth far more than $75.00 -$100.00 easily. Good news is that the factory record is available on the serial number which will tell you when it was shipped, and the serial number of the barrel is was shipped with.
Now to the gun itself. From the last photo, it appears you are missing the slide stop from the side of the barrel. This part is available from Numrich Gun Parts Corporation. You are not missing the end plug from the magazine tube. All you need to do is to push that little button at the end of the magazine tube in, then turn the magazine tube a little and push the magazine tube in towards the receiver, ending the gap between the receiver and the end of the magazine tube. Next, loosen the screw on the ring at the end of the barrel, then screw the ring towards the receiver to tighten the barrel assembley up against the receiver. This may take a couple of attempts to get it just right so that when the barrel screws up snuggly, everything lines up properly so the action slide lines up with the hole in the front of the receiver.
Tell your friend to find the missing cleaning rod section. The case is worth saving too.
As to value, somewhere in the $200.00 to $250.00 from what I can see in the photos if you find a slide stop. I believe that part is in the $15.00 range if I remember correctly. Look inside the case, it may be there.
Any other questions, just let us know..........
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Big_Racks
Beginner

Post by Big_Racks »

That's great news, and thanks for all of the help getting it put back into shape - I'll pull it out of the safe tomorrow and have a go at her. Did finally find the barrel serial number and choke.

Barrel is serial number 66819 F (evidently it's a full choke, looked cylinder bore to my blind eyes). Receiver serial # 642xx.

I'm up in Canada so if I was looking for parts I'd have to make sure they'd ship up here or try and source them up here. Not sure if it's worth it in the long run as the market would be quite a bit limited up here for selling it as a wall hanger. If I were to buy it from him for myself I probably would order the part but I'm leaning towards just selling it for him.

I'm sure hoping he can find the other section of cleaning rod - the top to that case would be nice too but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks again for all of the fantastic advice and info.
Big_Racks
Beginner

Post by Big_Racks »

Forgot, not sure if it matters but the full serial on the receiver is 64205.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Big_Racks;

Serial number 64205 left the factory in New Haven, Ct. in mid-1904 with barrel number 66819, the barrel you found the number on. So this is as it left the factory with a 30 inch barrel and the pretty much standard full choke.
Good luck with your endevors with this fine ole shotgun.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.