Marlin model 44 shotgun question.

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Texun
Beginner

Marlin model 44 shotgun question.

Post by Texun »

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and glad I found it. I've been searching for two days trying to find answers on the internet without out much luck. I recently purchased a Marlin pump 20 gauge. It has Mod.44 on the bottom of the receiver. I found on the internet something on 44A or 44S. I haven't found an A or an S anywhere on it. The serial number is a four digit number 5xx8. From what I have found it looks like it may have been made between 1915 and 1935. I would like to find some accurate information on this gun to know what I have. If anyone can help or needs any other information please let me know.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin model 44 shotgun question.

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Texun;

The Model 44, hammerless pump action shotgun was offered from 1922 to 1933. The Model 44 A is the standard grade gun with no frills what-so-ever. The Model 44 S was a special grade gun with checkered Circassian walnut stocks and a London, dull oil finish on the wood. The Model 44 S was only offered from 1923 to 1929. Neither gun was identified as being an A grade or an S grade, only as Mod. 44 on the bottom of the receiver.
The Model 44 was one of the stock option guns offered by Marlin from 1930 to 1931 to people that wanted to purchase four (4) shares of Marlin perferred stock. When someone purchased the four shares of stock, they were given a choice of guns for free as an incentive to purchase the stock.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
BarkeyVA
Marksman

Post by BarkeyVA »

According to Brophy in his book on Marlin Firearms published in 1989, the 44A sold from $45 to $49.50 while the 44S sold for $80. Brophy also wrote that the lowest serial number recorded or observed for the 44 is 480 with the highest serial number being 7925.
BarkeyVA
PKPI
Beginner

Post by PKPI »

Anyone on this group have a copy of the Marlin Safety bulletin for the Marlin model 44 20 ga. pump shotgun. I believe it included model 44, 44s and model 43's. I would like to obtain a copy. If someone has a copy of the bulletin, I would love a copy, you can send by email to pkeenepi@gmail.com
Thank you, Paul
Last edited by PKPI on Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PKPI
Beginner

Post by PKPI »

Regnier (gunrunner) wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:57 pm Texun;

The Model 44, hammerless pump action shotgun was offered from 1922 to 1933. The Model 44 A is the standard grade gun with no frills what-so-ever. The Model 44 S was a special grade gun with checkered Circassian walnut stocks and a London, dull oil finish on the wood. The Model 44 S was only offered from 1923 to 1929. Neither gun was identified as being an A grade or an S grade, only as Mod. 44 on the bottom of the receiver.
The Model 44 was one of the stock option guns offered by Marlin from 1930 to 1931 to people that wanted to purchase four (4) shares of Marlin perferred stock. When someone purchased the four shares of stock, they were given a choice of guns for free as an incentive to purchase the stock.
I hope this helps.
Any chance you have a copy of the Marlin safety bulletin about the model 44 and 43 shotguns? you can reply to pkeenepi@gmail.com Thanks, Paul
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Paul;

Yes, I do have a copy of the Marlin Service Bulletin. I will have to find it and then scan it for you. Be patient and I will get it for you.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Krish
Beginner

Post by Krish »

Hello all,

I am a newbie and just picked up a Marlin model 44 shotgun. The safety is not functioning and it appears that the safety spring and pin are missing. Can anyone who has a 43 or 44 take a picture of the trigger group so I can see how to route the safety and pin. I think I see the hole for the pin, but there are no exploded diagrams or schematics I can find. Numrich has the parts though.

Thanks in advance