Marlin Model 17 Shotgun ?

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Delta-419
Beginner

Marlin Model 17 Shotgun ?

Post by Delta-419 »

I have acquired a 12ga pump shotgun with hammer that looks exactly like a model 17 Marlin with serial number A53xx. The only markings are "National Firearms Company" on the barrel. It is in about NRA fine condition. Did Marlin make shotguns with these markings. Anybody know? 8)
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

Marlin made shotguns marked 'National Fire Arms Co' for H&D Folsom Arms Co of NYC. I have never seen one that was a model 17, but that doesn't mean they did not make them. Usually, these were made up to be very inexpensive and were not a Marlin model actually in production.

It's also rare for these to be in excellent condition as they were inexpensive and therefore "working" Guns. Of the several varities I have seen, none have had a solid frame like the model 17. Sounds like an interesting shotgun! SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!
Emmett Dunham
Pro-Marksman

Book Shop Inc.

Post by Emmett Dunham »

I just read a short history of H & D Folsum Firearms at bookshopinc.com and no were does it say that they built shotguns for National Firearms Co. They do list National Arms and no mention of how Marlin came into the pricture. All of the rifles and shotguns that I have read about with National Firearms Co. on them are exact copies of models of Marlin Co. weapons. I have written Marlin to explain what happened and Guns and Ammo to ID and explain were the Martel came from.

Emmett
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

A lot of the big jobbers like National Firearms, Sears and several others did not actually make the firearms - they negotiated deals with companies that did and sold them under their brand name. SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!