HELP!!!! Shotgun type or Model

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

msdbking
Beginner

HELP!!!! Shotgun type or Model

Post by msdbking »

Can anyone help me? I had a women give me an old bolt action Shotgun the other day and I don't know anything about it. I assume it's a 12 gauge, but the bolt is missing out of it. It has like a adjustable choke or something like that on the end of it.. And idea's or answers would be a help!!!! Thanks guys!!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Msdbking;

We will assume that since you are on the Marlin website, that the bolt action shotgun in question is a Marlin which makes this pretty easy. Marlin made one basic bolt action shotgun, called the Model 55 Hunter. It has evolved over the years and has many variations, but they are based on the same gun.
If the adjustable choke on your shotgun was put on at the factory, then it will be a Model 55 Hunter with a Micro-Choke. These were made from 1956 to 1964. There were 30,855 of these guns made. It could also be a Marlin Model 55 Swamp Gun. These were made from 1963 to 1965. They had a 20 1/2 inch barrel where as the Hunter had a 28 inch barrel. There were 1,493 Swamp Guns made. There is also the Model 55G (for Glenfield) that was made with a choke. These were made from 1961 to 1965, and there were 4,814 of these made.
If the adjustable choke is not factory, then it is hard to say exactly which version of the Model 55 you might have. Look at the barrel for any barrel markings and model markings.
If you need a bolt, try Numrich Gun Parts Corporation at http://www.e-gunparts.com or call their Customer Service at 845-679-4867. The bolt will be interchangeable from any of these guns.
I hope this helps.