Model 28 12ga Marlin Shot Gun

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

GlenRyan52
Beginner

Model 28 12ga Marlin Shot Gun

Post by GlenRyan52 »

i have a Marlin Model 28 12ga Shot Gun (pump action with a 1908 patent pending engraving on the barrel) that i have not been able to disassemble. i've searched high and low all throughout several different gun forums but haven't found the answer(s) i need.

can anyone help me with this situation? please let me know if you need any additional information to be able to help. thanks in advance to any and all help!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Model 28 12ga Marlin Shot Gun

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

GlenRyan52;

Just how far apart do you want to take this shotgun? If you merely want to take the gun down you simply need to unscrew the barrel. To do that, pinch the knob at the end of the magazine tube and draw the tube forward towards the muzzle and then draw the pump arm forward until it clears the receiver. Then unscrew the barrel, bearing in mind, that the barrel threads are LEFT hand threads.
If you want to take the receiver apart, (which if I remember correctly, Brophy did not recommend unless a trained gunsmith), remove the butt stock by taking the butt plate off and the unscrewing the stock bolt behind the butt plate. Then you can remove the three (3) side plate screws on the right side to expose the action and internal parts. From there, you are on your own. I really suggest you do not disassemble the trigger assembly as that really could be a problem if you do not have the correct tools. There are parts diagrams in Brophy's book on pages 398 & 399 if you need help.
Good luck.....
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.