Model 90 Combination Gun

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Road King
Expert

Model 90 Combination Gun

Post by Road King »

I was reading in Brophy's book on page 414 that the Model 90 Combo gun in .30-30 / 20 gauge was experimented with but production was nevr started. My question is have any of these ever turned up? I have located one in this combination and was wondering what I should look for to ensure it is original. Could there have been barrels supplied afterward as an after market option?
Road King
" More guns then I need, but not as many as I want."
Road King
Expert

Re: Model 90 Combination Gun

Post by Road King »

I now have some photos of this combo gun.

Road King
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Brian;

I talked to the guru of the Model 90's in Wisconsin this morning. He thought that there were about 25 of this type combination Model 90's were made. He had owned 4 or so of them and still has one. So, they do exist, although they are apparently quite rare to say the least.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Road King
Expert

Post by Road King »

Thanks Rick, I'm going to try and pick this one up, I hope at a reasonal price. I gues if I can't find one of the 20, 1888 carbines :lol: then one of the 25 Combo guns might be nice to have in a collection. :D
Road King
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Brian;

I'd say..................

BarkeyVA
Marksman

Post by BarkeyVA »

Let us know if you get it. Obviously you will need to confirm that all serial numbers match. I can't remember for sure, but I seem to recall the Model 90 guru in Wisconsin telling me several years ago that he once saw an advertisment by a guy who said he could assemble almost any combination of barrels on Model 90's.
BarkeyVA
Road King
Expert

Post by Road King »

I have picked up the the Combo gun and all appears to be correct. :) Serial numbers all match :D
Road King
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Brian;

That is one of those "production" rarities that just do not come along all that often, and it is nice to see one. From your pictures, it is in not to bad a shape, in fact, pretty nice for as rare as it is. I guess your job now is to find the other 24 guns to see if the serial numbers fall into the same range and make a report. Come to the Annual Meeting and Show in Louisville and meet the Wisconsin guru and pick his brains. He told me he was going to display his Skeet King Model 90's.

BarkeyVA
Marksman

Post by BarkeyVA »

Great find. Congratulations! Thanks for sharing the photos. Hopefully you can make it to Louisville, show off your very unusual M90 combo and have an opportunity to meet the Model 90 guru. I had hoped to be able to attend this year but just too many other things going on. Maybe next year.
BarkeyVA
Road King
Expert

Post by Road King »

Thanks guys, I am trying to get organized to come to Louisville, if I can get all the moon and stars lined up. I will try and bring the model 90 with me if I can get paperwork in order to get it across the border :roll: .
Road King
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Brian;

With or without the Combination Model 90, definetly try make the Annual Meeting and Show in Louisville. You will enjoy the show and meeting collectors from around the country and seeing things you would normally never see. There will be displays and stuff for sale to add to your collection.
And BarkeyVA, you should try to get your ducks in a row and make the meeting as well. I know you will enjoy seeing the Model 90 Skeet King display and meeting the owner.
Actually, I encourage all members to attend the meeting and show in Louisville, but I caution you, it tends to be come habit forming! Since 1973, I have missed only one (1) meeting of the Association. I had made plans to attend, but something did come up that I just could not avoid. I really regret missing that one meeting! I have met many wonderful people and been to quite a few places I probably never would have gone to otherwise. Plus as a bonus, I have managed to acquire a few nice pieces for the collection so there are benefits!

Kyguy
Beginner

Post by Kyguy »

I own a Model 90 16 ga over-under shotgun, serial number P295. How can I tell what year the gun was manufactured? Thanks. Kyguy, Lexington KY.
BarkeyVA
Marksman

Post by BarkeyVA »

"P" serial number indicates your gun was made in 1957. According to Brophy's book on Marlin Firearms, 1957 was the last year Marlin made the Model 90DT. Also according to Brophy, from 1952 to1957 Marlin made 1,398 16 ga. DT's with 28" barrels and 931 16 ga. DT's with 26" barrels.
BarkeyVA
Kyguy
Beginner

Post by Kyguy »

Thanks for the great info on my Marlin Model 90 16 ga over-under with the P serial number. The gun was given to me by my dad in the late 60s, and I just passed it on to my 32 year old son. It is in mint condtion. I don't know how many times my dad fired it, but I only ran a dozen or so shells through it over the years.

My son is starting to get into sporting clays and such, and loved my Marlin, which resided in my glass-front gun cabinet. It's a family heirloom and now his.

I showed him this web site and he may end up being a regular.

Thanks again.
BarkeyVA
Marksman

Post by BarkeyVA »

kyguy,
Nice story about your Model 90. I still have my first Model 90, a used 12 ga. with 26" barrels (G serial number made in 1950) that my dad bought for me in 1957. Dad cut off the stock to fit me and then put a piece from an old stock back on when I got bigger. The wood does not match, but it was the only gun I hunted with for over 20 years, and is it was still my favorite upland bird gun until I bought a 16 ga. Model 90 DT with 26" barrels 5 years ago. That used 12 ga. model 90 that dad bought for me 55 years ago is the one gun in my "collection" that I will never sell.
BarkeyVA