What model is the gun I bought?

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

BLUE72CAMARO
Beginner

What model is the gun I bought?

Post by BLUE72CAMARO »

I bought an old exposed hammer Marlin from a freind to use as a wall hanger and I am trying to figure out what model it is and if it could be made safe to fire again with low pressure loads. Also approx. value if you have an idea to, most likely it is just going on my living room wall though.

I cant get pictures to load for some reason. If you follow this link you can see a bunch of them I loaded on a thread over on a camaro forum I frequent a lot. Any help is greatly appreciated guys.

Link to pics.
http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246695
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: What model is the gun I bought?

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Blue72Camaro;

I went and looked at your pictures of your Marlin Model 1898, C Grade, exposed hammer, 12 gauge pump action shotgun. If you look on the side of the barrel, you should find another number, 40227 which is the serial number of the barrel that was on the gun when it left the factory in New Haven, Ct. in mid-1902. When it left the factory, it had a 30 inch barrel, and usually, the 30 inch barrel had a full choke, and there should be the letter "F" next to the barrel serial number.
The Model 1898 is a takedown action which means the barrel can be unscrewed for transport and ease of cleaning the barrel.
If you want to shoot this old shotgun, it needs to undergo a series of safety checks to insure it is safe to shoot. There is a thread in the "Shotgun Section" that will take you to a link for the safety checks. It can be made safe to shoot if you follow the instructions on the first post in the "Shotgun Section" providing you use light loads only.
Good luck............I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
BLUE72CAMARO
Beginner

Post by BLUE72CAMARO »

It does in fact still have barrel 40227F still on it. Is there anywhere that has a good description as to how the gun is suppose to function? Mainly the button up by the hammer as it seems to have no effect on the guns function right now.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Blue72Camaro;

If you can open the action on your Marlin Model 1898 shotgun without having to push the button on the top, right side of the receiver, then you have a problem that must be fixed before you attempt to shoot this gun. The button is the "Hang Fire Safety Release" that allows the action to be opened when the gun has not been fired. If the gun is fired, the action of firing the gun trips the safety release automaticly and you do not have to push the button to open the action. If you have a bad shell, and the gun does not fire, then the "hang fire safety" release is there to prevent the action from being opened to soon after a mis-fire.
On this section of the Message Board, under Shotguns, go to the bottom of the very first post on repairing shotguns by Bob Smalser. There is a link to a website that guide you through the safety tests. I can tell you now, it will not pass since the "Hang Fire Safety Release" system is not working correctly. It may be just dirty, but I would tend to think that the "hook" that holds the breech bolt locking device has a broken spring and not allowing it to return into the locking position when the action is closed.
The gun that Bob uses in the first post is a later design, so it really does not show the right "hook" that the Model 1898 has. Otherwise, most of what he shows in the photos will work on your Model 1898.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
BLUE72CAMARO
Beginner

Post by BLUE72CAMARO »

Alright I will check out the post you mention, may wait until this winter to tear in to it though. Sounds like a good cold winter evening project when I cant be out working on other things.