Ouch...something just bit me!

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

zoli 16ga.
Beginner

Ouch...something just bit me!

Post by zoli 16ga. »

I think they call it the Marlin bug...but it was disguised as a Ranger 103-6!

Hey all, just new here, and came home with a 20ga. Ranger 103-6, # R 2342, 28", DT, 6lbs 8ozs. on my digital fish scale. She has some issues such as a cracked forend (been repaired), cracked stock (been repaired), refinished (well varnished anyway) wood, lovely color. Choked cylinder or IC on the bottom and Full (or just call it tighter) on the top when measured with my crude gauge. She also had/has a rattle inside the action (not the baby kind), so I took the stock off. The innards appear to have been gone over by a smith, well its clean anyway, but there is a floating doohickey on the bottom fireing pin (pic with the pencil pointing to it) that moves around when you shake or move the gun around. Is this typical, or maybe missing a spring somewhere? The firing pins make solid and even imprints when fired on a piece of hardwood (need to get snap caps). Action is good and tight with forend on, but has a slight wiggle(a thou maybe) when twisted with the forend off. The lever is left of center, but has a few more years left in her. Bores are pristine. Barrel bluing is very good...well you see the pics.

I paid $150 for it, all in. I bought it as my beater gun, although I would never use a gun as such, and its my first O/U and 20ga. I'm more of a 16ga. guy, and we all know they pattern better :lol: !

Not much info on the Ranger series Mod 90s, maybe someone can bring me up to speed.

Here's the link to the pics - http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae32 ... ch/Ranger/

Don.
BarkeyVA
Marksman

Re: Ouch...something just bit me!

Post by BarkeyVA »

Sears Ranger model 90-'s were made from 1937-1941. The cocking lever that you point to in your photo below does not appear to be factory because it looks nothing like the cocking lever in my pre-WWII Model 90DT or my Model 90 ST made in 1957. the part is tight and does not move around in my guns. I am not an expert on the interal mechanics of Model 90's so I have no idea how that part can be loose and still cock the upper and lower firing pins.

My pre-WWII Model 90DT

BarkeyVA
BarkeyVA
Marksman

Post by BarkeyVA »

The cocking levers on all of my Model 90's appear to be the same and do not rattle around. However, there are some folks on the 16 ga. site who can probably provide an explanation about what might be happening with your gun.
BarkeyVA
zoli 16ga.
Beginner

Post by zoli 16ga. »

Is that horizontal 'Z' bar the auto safety? Looks like it may be removed from mine. Mine is not auto safety.

Don.
BarkeyVA
Marksman

Post by BarkeyVA »

Yes, it is the auto safety bar. I generally remove them since I prefer a manual safety.
BarkeyVA