Shotgun Reasearch

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

mballes
Beginner

Shotgun Reasearch

Post by mballes »

Recently received a Marlin 12 Ga Pump Shot Gun with a serial number of A7682. I am trying to determine the model number and year of manufacture. Is there a published list of serial numbers or a database available to search?

Thanks
BarkeyVA
Marksman

Re: Shotgun Reasearch

Post by BarkeyVA »

I'm pretty sure the letter prefix in the serial number indicates the year made. A-1940. What is stamped on the top of the barrel or on the frame?
BarkeyVA
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Mballes;

A 12 gauge Marlin pump action shotgun with a "A" serial number prefix is something that was made around 1916/1917. We need more information about the shotgun to determine which pump action shotgun model you have inquired about. Does the gun have a straight grip stock or is it a pistol grip stock? Is it a takedown action or a solid frame that cannot be broken down into barrel section and receiver section? Does it have a push button on the right side of the reciever "hang fire safety release" system or a lever, that is down by the trigger guard? Is there a model number marking on the upper tang, behind the hammer? If it is a takedown shotgun, is there a pinch knob at the end of the magazine tube, or do you have to push a button and twist the magazine tube to withdraw it from the receiver? Is the stock and forearm checkered? What patent dates are listed on the barrel? The answer to these questions will get a start on determining which model you have.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.......
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
mballes
Beginner

Post by mballes »

stock is original, Here is some additional information from the gun itself.

SN. A7682

MN. 19-S

PAT'D May 12, 1896, June 2, 96, Oct 5,1897, Nov 27 1900, Mar 29, 1904, Nov 29, 1904,
Aug 7, 1905, Mar 24, 1908, May 29' 19'08. 12 Ga. All of this is exactly as shown on the barrel.

Straight Grip

I think it is a takedown action

It has a push button on the right side of the receiver

There is a pinch knob at the end of the magazine and a bush button to twist the magazine tube from the receiver.

I will post some photos later.
mballes
Beginner

Post by mballes »

I have created a photo album of some photos at the following link.: http://www.balles.us/Photo_Gallery/inde ... in-Shotgun
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Mballes;

Okay, this is a pistol grip, takedown action shotgun. The hang fire safety release is the first style that utilizes the push button on the upper, right hand side of the receiver. The takedown style is the first style takedown system. The patent dates corellate to a Model 19-G, but at the time this gun was assembled, Marlin would have used any barrel on hand that fit the bill. With the "A" serial number prefix, it would have been made during the 1916/1917 time frame.
You are missing a couple of screws, one trigger guard screw and the pump arm guide screw that goes into the magazine tube band near the barrel. You might be able to get them from Numrich Gun Parts Corporation (www.e-gunparts.com)
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
mballes
Beginner

Post by mballes »

Thanks for the information and I will look into getting the proper screws for the missing ones. As I understand it from my Dad, it was his grandfathers and was last shot in the late 50's. The wood pump was replaced in the 50's so I will look for a replacement for it as well. Is this a rare example of this model? Is there anyway to place a value on this shotgun? I can't imagine firing this and think it is only good for the gun case at this time. Thanks for your time and knowledge, you have been a huge help and filled in many missing blanks.