new member, need info on a Model 49 12ga

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

bkjeffrey
Beginner

new member, need info on a Model 49 12ga

Post by bkjeffrey »

Greeting gentlemen,
I was directed to this wsebsite as a source of information regarding a specific Marlin Model No 49 12ga.
I work with a guy who has no real interest in firearms at all. He recently was rummaging his family's old barn back home and found an old safe with this shotgun inside. Ive scowered the bowels of the internet and couldnt come up with much info on it other than it was a gift to entice share purchases. The gun looks to be in pretty rough shape but the fella who owns it says he has shot it a good bit since he got it. He was asking me about it today at work and I told him I would find some more info out about it. Thats why Im here. He is really ultimately concerned with a fair street value as he is considering selling it. He also mentioned hacking the barrel down to 18" and throwing it behind his truck seat. I told him that was a rediculous idea until we can find out more info on it. Seems as only 3000 of these were made and I think any modification would be blasphemy to me. But for starters, whats it worth? Worth keeping? Selling? Parting out?

Yalls thoughts are welcome.

I tried to add pics from photobucket but it says theyre too big. Whats the standard protocol on this forum for posting pics?
Bear 45/70
Marksman 1st Class

Re: new member, need info on a Model 49 12ga

Post by Bear 45/70 »

It was a low priced version of the Model 42A. They were given to purchasers of 4 shares of Marlin stock. 3,000 manufactured from 1925 to 1928.
Bear 45/70

"My pistol and my rifle are merely the tools, I am the weapon."