MoDel 2 Field Grade?

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

MoDel 2 Field Grade?

Post by Guest »

I visited my local gun shop last evening and picked up what I assumed was a Model 1898 takedown. However; when I looked at the tang it was marked "Model 2 Field Grade". I don't have Brophy's book yet but I cannot find that Model in either the Standard Catalogue of Guns or Flaydermans. Can someone shed some light on this for me?
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

This is interesting. Marlin made field grade shotguns, however they are not normally marked on the tang as such. Additionally, Marlin never made a 'model 2'.

It's not well to toss the word 'never' about too casually, though. If you have an opportunity, inspect the model designation closely to see if part of the number might have been obliterated by buffing or an improper die strike.

Some information will help in detemining what you have actually seen. What shape is the grip? Curved? The patent dates on the barrel will be very helpful, as well, so if you're able, jot them down with the precise manufacturer's information. Marlin went through changes in ownership through the years, and there will be different roll marks that will give important clues to the age.

The serial number might be of help, too. Check the number on the barrel. On Marlins, they never match, and there will be another letter like 'F' ( for full) that will indicate choke. SW

MoDel 2 Field Grade?

Post by Guest »

Additional information on this shotgun. The serial number is A27067. The tang marking is"Malin Field Grade 2-G" there does not appear to be any misstamp. The barrel is marked Marlin with patent dates 92, 94, 96. The stock is a semi pistol grip with plastic butt plate. The butt has a fancy design cast into it but it is not marked "Marlin". It is an old style take down with the button release and metal sleeve. I did notice a samll spring loaded lever on the barrel assembly close to the reciever and partially under the actuating rod. This lever does not exist on my Model 30G 20 guage. It has an action release lever on the left side of the reciever next to the trigger guard. This is a gray gun with no finish. I hope this is some help in identifying this piece.
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

Even more interesting. The field guns all had straight stocks. I had a dedicated field gun & it was not marked at all except for the Marlin factory address & patent dates on the bbl. It might take a couple days, but I'll do a little research. So far I see nothing with the patent dates you mention.

In the meantime, could you post a pic? SW

MoDel 2 Field Grade?

Post by guest »

I'll try on the pictures. I'm afraid to show too much interest as the owner has not priced it yet pending some repair. He says it does not feed properly. Is it possible that like the winchester 97 it is chambered for for 2 5/8 instead of 2 3/4. What would a Marlin in the condition I described be worth and is it considered a rarity? You guys are going to raise my interest to the level I will join you association, lol.
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

I've done a little checking and have not found anything yet. Rick Regnier has a lot of information on the low production items and may have comments forthcoming.

If the gun is in need of repairs, I would hesitate to pay much over 200 for it. There isn't a lot of collecting interest in the older Marlins, so an odd specimen like this will not command a great premium. The shotgun collectors seem to be stuck on things like Brownings, Wins, Perrazis -etc & so forth. Such firearms may sell for more in your part of the country, though.

As for the chamber length, I find only 2 3/4" in both 12 & 16 gauge.

This is an interesting topic and one of the reasons I belong to the association; I learn here! :D SW
Don Anderson
Distinguished Expert

Post by Don Anderson »

It would be interesting to pull the butt stock and check what markings are there. Is there a serial number on the butt stock?

Don

Post by Guest »

Okay, I had a chance to do a little research today and offer the following GUESS as to the nature of the shotgun in question.

I believe it to be a model 24G with a barrel/magazine assembly from an older Marlin shotgun. That it is actually marked 'field grade' is interesting, but there might be an explanation for that, too. It could have come from the tool room, as much of a stretch as that may be. The serial # certainly falls into the 24G range. IF it was hand stamped to designate 'field grade', that would go a long way toward explaining the 'model 2'. Please note well the word IF.

I believe I will stick to that theory until pics are available. Since the barrels & magazines will interchange, it would be simple to find same from a model 24 & get it back to original configuration. I will also stick with my original price guess. I would not pay much over 200 for it, especially since it needs repairs.

It would certainly merit a place in a Marlin shotgun collection, but in my opinion it is not worth much of a premium even marked the way it is. SW
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

model 2

Post by SteveW »

I got so caught up in the thread, I forgot to log in for the above reply. SW