1898 Slide Stop

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

root44
Beginner

1898 Slide Stop

Post by root44 »

Can someone post a pic of the Marlin 1898 slide stop?
I am unclear how the slide stop disengages the slide from the locking bolt.
thanks
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: 1898 Slide Stop

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Root44;

The slide stop really does not disengage the slide from the bolt. The purpose of the slide stop is what it says, to stop the slide from going any further forward. With the slide stop in it's correct position, in the notch in the side of the barrel, the stop prevents the slide from exiting the front of the receiver when the pump handle is slid forward to close the bolt. When the slide stop is tilted over into the notch in the slide, the slide stop will then be pulled forward with the slide when the pump handle is slid forward like you would to close the bolt. You do have to move the slide backward slightly to get the slide notch in line with the slide stop so the stop can be tilted into the slide notch before you can slide the slide handle forward. You do have to move the magazine tube forward as well before you can unscrew the barrel, keeping in mind, that the barrel threads are left hand threads, and not right hand threads. Okay?
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
root44
Beginner

Post by root44 »

Thank you that makes sense.
We did exactly as you have instructed but the slide does not move forward enough to clear the receiver in fact it doesn't move forard at all after after moving the slide stop into the slide notch.
So I wanted to make sure that what I was doing was correct.
What I haven't determined is what the slide could be hanging up on?
I will say that the shotgun has been in a closet for a number of years and is missing the wood forend.
We are in the beginning stages of inspection, and disassembly to determine what the actual mechanical condition of this 1898 is.

Unfortunately I am at home now and do not have access to the 1898 to try the takedown again.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Root 44;

If you cannot get the barrel to takedown, then you may have to work at it from the other end. I do know that without the forearm wood, it would be quite difficult to get the pump arm slide to pull straight out keeping the slide stop in the notch, and the slide then disengaging from the breech bolt. You will need to remove the butt stock, then the lower tang assembly and shell lifter so that you can get to the breech bolt and the slide. It is more difficult this way, but it can be done as Marlin did make a couple of non-takedown shotguns like the 1898.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
root44
Beginner

Post by root44 »

Thanks I will give that a go.