Marlin model 30

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Marlin model 30

Post by guest »

I recently purchased a Marlin 20 guage pump with Model 30G stamped on the tang.. None of my research indicates a model 30 "G". Can any one provide guidence as to this designation. Also the stock has been replaced at sometime with an ugly oversized piece of timber. can anyone recommend a source for a proper replacement stock and butt plate. Also I have been told that these exposed hammer guns are unsafe to shoot acording to Marlin, is this correct?
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

model 30-G

Post by SteveW »

Your model 30-G was made between 1915 & 1917. There was indeed a model 30-G, and the 'G' indicates a slight modification of the original model 30. This could be something as subtle as screw placement or an improved internal part - precise records of the change are not available.

Unhappily, I'm not able to provide replacement stock information, but the topic comes up with some regularity, and one of the more knowledgeable members may have that information for you.

It's not that the guns are unsafe to shoot - they just don't hold up well with stout loads. If the gun is sound, it should be fine with target or dove loads. For more information about assessing your gun's condition, see also: http://www.marauder13.homestead.com/files/marlin98s.htm SW
Jim Susemihl
Beginner

Post by Jim Susemihl »

Congratulations on your purchase. I've been trying to find one of those for several years with no luck. Precision Gunworks makes a stock for the 1898. The inlet for the tangs should be about rignt. You will have to work the outside dimensions down to be right. It will take a little work with a rasp and sand paper but should come out very close to original. Vintage gun grips has the butt plate. I have bought from both suppliers and would recommend both. You can get to them on the net using the names for your search. I have and shoot about 9 Marlin hammer pump shotguns. They are well made but as you have been told you should only shoot light loads. The site that Steve recommended is very good for making sure that ALL of the safety features work. Make sure you check them out. Again enjoy your purchase.
oodmoff
Marksman

16ga for sale

Post by oodmoff »

Jim,

I was looking to maybe sell my one or both of my 16ga's. One is a model 30 and the other a model 16. I was thinking about hanging on the older model, but haven't made up my mind. Thought you might have interest and would rather sell it off to a shooter in the forum before it goes to the wolves on the auction sites...(sometimes im one of the wolves..sshhhh..)

If not maybe some of you other sass guys would want a stab at it...

Can send pictures if requested but they're mainly 50% or so...
Thanks
Darin
Mike Faires
Pro-Marksman

Model 30G

Post by Mike Faires »

I also have a Model 30 G in 20 guage ans I too am looking for a butt stock. My wife has used hers in Cowboy Action Shooting for about 6 years with no problems. I check it each time with the proceedurees listed in the mentioned web site and she uses AA light loads. Follow the procedures and use light loads and it will bring years of service. However, if you decide to pass it on keep me in mind.
Jim Susemihl
Beginner

Post by Jim Susemihl »

Darin, I appreciate the offer. I have 3 16s so I think I'll pass. I have a model 16, a model 30 in 16ga, and a Chicago Arms with straight grip stock in 16ga. I am concentrating on a model 30 in 20ga. I also have in the works a 24G and still need a model 21 and a model 26. Then I'll possibly look to mayby upgrade some models and look for a C or D grade in one or two models. The searching sure is fun. Again thanks for the offer. Jim
oodmoff
Marksman

Post by oodmoff »

Got ya.

Btw I have never seen a D grade in person but have seen numerous grade c's. At least it model 1898 and 19 and a 24 but nothing like this one. I always associated a D grade with a gold inlay of sorts in my mind at least however, this just came up recently, blueing looks a bit
dark in the pics but looks like whats in brophys book.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=31994999
Thanks
Darin
Jim Susemihl
Beginner

Post by Jim Susemihl »

I have seen a C grade model 16 once. The one on this auction is definately a D grade and a nice one at that. Would love to put it in my collection.
Four-Eyed Buck
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Four-Eyed Buck »

Oh, my, What a work of art. that one's just gorgeous, and way out of my range.......Buck 8) :roll: :shock: :wink:
If Marlin made SA revolvers, I'd be shooting those, too!!!
balou14
Beginner

Marlin 30 Shotgun

Post by balou14 »

I have one for sale on GunBroker.com

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=36254953

Nice gun with fancy stock - non checkered. Some bozo put a poly choke on it :(
Jim Susemihl
Beginner

Post by Jim Susemihl »

balou14, Thanks for the post. I got it a couple days late as I was out of town and it was already sold. I'll just have to keep trying.
Regards
Jim