Model 90

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Greg52
Beginner

Model 90

Post by Greg52 »

When my Uncle died he left me 2 shotguns one of which is a Ranger 103-10 12 gauge shotgun. After doing some research I would like to know when the gun was made. From looking at exploded views I think I have a model 90 with a 30 inch barrel with a full rib between the barrels and dual triggers. Looking at some gun books I think it was sold by Sears but nothing on the gun indicates that. I does not have Sears or JC Higgings on the barrel. With the 30 inch barrel what choke was this made with. The serial # is R 92** and any information about this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Greg
BarkeyVA
Marksman

Re: Model 90

Post by BarkeyVA »

Greg52,

Your Ranger 12 ga. is Marlin model 90. The Ranger/Model 90 was introduced in 1937. The R stands for Ranger. Sears used the Ranger name prior to WWWII. After WWII they used the JC Higgins name. All Sears guns made by Marlin have the 103- designation with the following 1 to 4 digits indicating the model. There is no way to tell for sure what year it was made as there are no records at Marlin or anywhere else. After WWII a letter prefix in the serial number was used to indicate the year made.

30" barrels were typically choked Mod/Full. Measuring the amount of choke constriction and/or patterning it are the only way to know for sure. Hope you enjoy shooting your Model 90 as much as I enjoy shooting mine.
BarkeyVA
Greg52
Beginner

Re: Model 90

Post by Greg52 »

Thanks for the info Barkey, VA. I have hunted with it a few times got a grouse and a bunch of rabbits.