Marlin pump gun unknown mod.number

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

bart man

Marlin pump gun unknown mod.number

Post by bart man »

I have Marlin 12 ga.pump ser.no.A1876.There is no model no.on the gun.It has an exposed hammer and resembles a Win.97,except for side ejection.The gun also has a small rod protruding from the rt.side of the reciever.This rod must pushed forward in order to opperate the slide after firing. (I have only dry fired this gun).Can anyone tell me more about this gun,in particular the strange rod device to operate the slide?The condition is nearly perfect.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Bart Man;

We will need more information about your Marlin exposed hammer pump action shotgun before we can identify it.
List all patent dates listed on the barrel. Then, is it a takedown action or a solid frame? Is it a straight grip stock or a pistol grip stock?
Since it has the "Hang Fire Safety" up near the hammer, on the right side of the reciever and the "A" serial number prefix, it will be an earlier model that was made up later by the Marlin Rockwell Corporation during WW I when the employees needed something to do between war contracts. The "Hang Fire Safety" was patented by Marlin to prevent the action from being opened to quickly in case of a mis-fire. The shooter had to stop and think about opening the action if a shell did not go off. This help prevent a danger to the shooter in case of a mis-fire or a late shell discharge while the action was open.
Looking forward to seeing the information about your shotgun.
For now, I hope this helps
Bart Man

Marlin pump gun

Post by Bart Man »

Regnier-thank you for your quick reply.The gun has a straight stock,solid frame.The patent no.s are April 2 1889,Sept11 1894, Nov6 1894,Nov 7 1900 and Nov 29 1904.There is a number on the right underside of the barrel L62906,witk a small letter I make out to be an "H" or possibly a"B",at the lower right of the number.There are no other markings other than 12.Ga.On the left side of the barrel,at the receiver.Thank You for your help.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Bart Man;

With those patent dates, a straight grip and solid frame indicates you have a Marlin Model 17, exposed hammer pump action shotgun. The Model 17 was originally made from 1906 to 1908.
As stated earlier, with the "A" serial number prefix, your gun was assembled from parts on hand during WW I by the Marlin-Rockwell Corporation to keep employees busy.
The small letters on the barrel after the serial number should be either an "F", "M" or "C" to indicate the barrel choke. "F" = Full choke, "M" = Modified and "C" = Cylinder bore.
If you have any other questions, let us know.......
I hope this helps.
Bart man

Model 17

Post by Bart man »

Thank you for your help.Does this gun have any value or is it more of a "wall hanger"?How would you suggest I get a fair estimate?