Marlin 16 gauge questions

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

oldgunsrule
Beginner

Marlin 16 gauge questions

Post by oldgunsrule »

First time poster. Forgive the rookie questions. I continue to have trouble recognizing the differences between the Model 16 and the Model 30. Are all Model 30's marked on the top tang while 16's are not? Do all Marlin pumps have 2 3/4" chambers? If not, when did they change from 2 1/2"? Regarding the safety of firing these guns, if all else checks out, should 2 1/2" 7/8 oz. loads be okay? I am aware of the factory warnings. Last, my pump serial number is 116909. Does this make it a Model 16, and can anyone advise the date of this gun? Thanks for any info you experts can provide.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin 16 gauge questions

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Oldgunsrule;

Generally, the Model 30 guns are marked, unless it is one of the first guns of the series. Often times, Marlin did not get the roll die to mark the tang made in time for the first guns to be marked so some early guns of a model will be unmarked.
The easy way to tell the difference between the Model 30 and 16 is the patent markings on the barrel, unless the barrel has been changed. The Model 16 has the same patent dates as the Model 1898, which are 11-6-1894, 5-12-1896 and 6-2-1896 whereas the Model 30 patent dates will be 3-24-1908, 11-23-1909, 12-21-1909, 7-28-1914 and 2-23-1915 unless it is a Model 30-G which will have some different patent dates, along with the later style hang fire safety release and maybe a Corporation marked barrel instead of a Company marked barrel.
The old Marlin records only go from 19,601 to 67,000 which does include some Model 16's. Your gun has a low enough number to be a Model 16 as that number should be prior to the introduction of the Model 30 in 1911. I would need to check back through some old catalogs to give you an estimation of date of manufacture.
The chambers of all Marlin shotguns are either 2 5/8's inch or 2 3/4 inch depending upon the model. Again, I would need to go through the old catalogs to see when that change came about.
For now, I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
oldgunsrule
Beginner

Re: Marlin 16 gauge questions

Post by oldgunsrule »

Absolutely it helps! From previous threads I see it's quite common for the barrel numbers to be different from the receiver serial number; I assume due to both later switching as well as perhaps being "close enough" at the factory. I don't have the barrel number in front of me or I'd post it as well, as the gun is presently at my gunsmith for a teardown and inspection in anticipation of shooting it. He was thrilled to get the teardown/safety check info posted by one of the other forum members. I did locate some low pressure rounds at polywad.com which are made specifically for vintage guns. I wonder if other forum members have had experience with this stuff. One more question concerning barrels- would the Model 16 and 30 barrels have been interchangeable?