1898 First year Production

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

mark1648
Beginner

1898 First year Production

Post by mark1648 »

I picked this gun up a couple of years ago on the way out of a gun show, I live in Connecticiut so sometimes you run accross some odd guns. I checked the Marlin book and did confirm that it is early production, spring loaded button on left side of magazine tube, small knurled bar (not sure of actual term) that is moved into a slot in the foregrip action arm that allows it to be removed from receiver for takedown. It also has a very early base plate with Marlin written in fine script. The gun is well used, bore a bit pitted but I have shot it, the gun has had a good many years of of hones work, but it is in good shape, stock and steel never been refinished and it was a few hundred bucks. The thing that really got me is tha it has matching serail numbers, one digit number 9 that what makes it cool, it hangs on the wall in the rec room just above my old Colt SxS. I am just looking for any info someone might be able to share on the serial number.

Thanks
Mark
MFCA #3738
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: 1898 First year Production

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Mark;

The very early production Model 1898's are probably the least safe of the exposed hammer, pump action shotguns to shoot. The early guns were not made with the "safety hang fire release" systemthat was made into the guns after about the first year or two of production. The guns without the safety release system are more likely not to lock up properly to prevent the release of the breech bolt upon firing. The newly patented release system is first mentioned in the 1901 catalog.
As to the matching serial numbers, that is interesting in that most Marlin shotguns, the barrel serial number does not match the receiver serial number. It may be, that most of the early guns did match as there was not enough extra barrels laying around to mix up with the serial numbered receivers, and so once in a while, matching serial numbers happened. Even though your gun is not a pristine example, it is an interesing collector item due to the low serial number.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Dirtwater Doc
Beginner

Re: 1898 First year Production

Post by Dirtwater Doc »

I thought mine, S/N 77, was the oldest around but now I have to hand that title to you!! The 98 was introduced late in 1898 (Brophy) and so only a few can be considered pre-1899.

Mine is an uncut full choke 30" in original condition and I have shot it with light, low recoil AA and STS loads.

I have owned Marlin hammer SGs (later 98, 19, 42, and 30G) and used them in Cowboy shooting before they were outlawed. I always found them faster and smoother than Winchester 97s, easier to fix and safer. The later ones will not slam-fire like a 97.

You may hear that the Marlins are "widowmakers" but that title is more appropriate to the winchesters. I has a bolt pin break in one of my 98s and the bolt would not open after firing.

Doc