Marlin Model 17-S 12ga. pump action

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

torreyguy
Beginner

Marlin Model 17-S 12ga. pump action

Post by torreyguy »

I inherited a Marlin Model 17-S 12ga pump action shotgun ser. no. A3819 in excellent condition. Can anyone furnish any info? Year of mfg., Qty. manufactured, possible value, etc? Thanks.
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

model 17-s

Post by SteveW »

The model 17 was made from 1906 - 1908. There were 3 variations; the 17, the 17S & the 17G. The17G had a newly designed recol safety system, and while nothing is actually in print about the 17S, it had some small change from the 17 such as screw placement, or other internal change. While the model 17 is none too common, the 17S is scarce in itself. Among the varieties of 17, there was a 30 or 32" bbl in full choke, a 'brush gun' with a 26" bbl & cyl bore for those close quail shots, and there was a riot model with a 20" bbl 'especially designed for buckshot'.

For the model 17, there was only the 'A' and no higher grades. Your serial # is in the correct series for the 17S. Unfortunately, I can find no information of the number made.

I'm not sure of the value. It has been many years since I've seen one for sale. I had a chance to get a nice riot model & have kicked myself several times for not doing so. SW
jdille
Beginner

Re: Marlin Model 17-S 12ga. pump action

Post by jdille »

I saw estimates of $100 to $300 on wiki yahoo answers for a Marlin model 17-S...could this even be accurate for a well preserved model?