Model 49

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

keith58
Beginner

Model 49

Post by keith58 »

I just purchased a model 49shotgun. It is in very nice condition. Cant find much of anything about it on the web. Its in very good condition with most of the original finish.
Mine has a 4 digit serial number, 12 Ga. 30 inch barrel is not marked with choke size.
If someone could tell me something about the model 49 I would appreciate it.
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

model 49

Post by SteveW »

Keith,

The model 49 was made from 1928 to 1930 and was intended to be an economy model to be given away for the purchase of four shares of Marlin preferred stock. - A 100 dollar investment. That's the reason for the non-ribbed forearm and the hump on the front of the receiver that is used for a rear sight. - Those were economy features. The barrels weren't numbered or marked with the choke, so you'll need to get your handy dial caliper to see if it's a full choke. Nearly all of them were full.

While precise numbers aren't know, there weren't many of these made. Good find!! SW
keith58
Beginner

Post by keith58 »

Thanks for the information SteveW. My 49 still has nearly all the original bluing. Someone took very good care of it all these years as will I.
Someone told me it would be best to only shoot light trap loads in it.
I didnt buy it to shoot, but would like to fire it a few times.
Purchased the 49 at an estate sale for $200. The serial number is 7xxx.
-Keith
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

Keith,

It's safe to fire these with trap or dove loads. Stay away from the high brass field loads or turkey whackers, though. I'd say you got it for quite a decent price. These were 'working guns' & few have survived in decent condition. Just for fun, pull the butt plate some time. Occasionally, you will find an old hunting license under there. SW