Marlin Model 30 16 Ga.

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Elfelfbabi@aol.com

Marlin Model 30 16 Ga.

Post by Elfelfbabi@aol.com »

Hey Fellas
Irecently came across a Marlin model 30 pump shotgun. The gentleman i bought it from told me it is a grade D. I will admit, it does have some beautiful engraving on the reciever, and the wood is definately above average. Which brings me to my question...If there are ascending grades of this model, How do I tell if this is a grade D, and not a C, or even a B?? To be honest, I would Guess the finsh to be about 60%.He told me it is a trap gun, the action is buttery smooth, and the takedown feature is nice. It is a good shooter, and none of the screws have been boogered up.To be honest, I don't know too much about Marlin shotguns, but am curious to its history. Any information ya'll could provide would be greatly appreciated.
    Sure-Shot
    Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

According to Brophy's book:
    No 30 "D" high quality Damascus barrel or Special Smokeless Steel. Matted on top full length, stock is Circassian Walnut, finished with the London process of filling which gives a rich dull surface resistent to scratches, hand checking, elaborately engraved with screws and trigger gold plated. All of the grades are discussed on pages 385-6. Library of Congress No. ISBN 0-8117-0877-2

Forgot to tell you they were made from 1911-17.
    GBOT, GBUSA