model 90 12 gauge

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

mwheeler

model 90 12 gauge

Post by mwheeler »

I just purchased a model 90 in 12 gauge, the gun is in 98 to 100 % perfect condition. serial # K441. I have been unable to find much info on this gun other than 1948 may be the year it was originaly purchased. Any information about this shotgun would be appreciated.
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

model 90

Post by SteveW »

First off, K = 1953. Full retail for a double trigger was 94 bucks and it was 124 bucks for the single trigger variety. I've always found it interesting that the receiver is of a type of iron rather than steel and cannot be blued by conventional means. If you wouldn't mind posting the barrel length and number of triggers, I or another of the members can tell you how many of its type were manufactured. - It's not going to be over 3000 in any case. SW
mwheeler

model 90

Post by mwheeler »

the barrel is 30 inches and it has one trigger.Thanks for the info on this gun, 50 years old,wow,I can't get over the condition of this shot gun. Do you guys have any idea what the value of this shot gun might be? Is it safe to fire with modern ammo? is it a collectors piece? should I put it up and not fire it to conserve its pristine condition?

Thanks for the help
M. Wheeler
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

There were 2965 of that configuration made between 1953 & 1963. These are safe to shoot with modern factory ammo, but I wouldn't feed it a steady diet of the high brass turkey whackers.

While everyone plays with their toys differently, I really don't see anything wrong with shooting this. As long as you are careful to avoid damage to the finish, this will not diminish the value. While I'm not sure of the precise value of your model 90, it will do nothing but appreciate.

These haven't acheived prominent collector appeal yet, but they certainly deserve it. It's always a pleasure to hear of a really nice one having a home where it will be preserved. Enjoy it in good health, sir! :D SW