Screw for Model 19 forestock

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

FredInIdaho
Beginner

Screw for Model 19 forestock

Post by FredInIdaho »

Hi Folks, I'm new here, I'm not really a Marlin collector, I own three, a 39A I bought new in 1969, a .444 I got about five years ago and a beautiful Model 19 I just got from Cabela's in Boise. It's checkerd and has beautiful wood in it so I think it's a Grade B.

But one problem, the forstock is cracked and is missing one of the screws and the little ring that goes around it. Any ideas where I can get one? My gunsmith will make one, for $150.00, well that includes fixing the stock.

I don't know if I should post in the "for sale" section or not, but any help would be apprieciated.

And a big thank you to Mr. Smalser for his very helpful post on these guns.

Thanks

Fred Norton
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Screw for Model 19 forestock

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

FredInIdaho;

If you can determine the thread count and size of the screw, you should be able to get a screw from Brownell's in Iowa. They have lots of gun screws available in all sizes, and that screw should be available. You might have to get one a little long and cut it off, but that is a lot better than paying $150.00 for a screw, if you know what I mean.........
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
mperkins
Beginner

Post by mperkins »

Hello Fred, the little ring thing is an escutcheon, that I know for sure, what follows is speculation. I have seen M19's with round esc. and some shaped like the numeral 8, these type having a provision for a small lock screw to sieze the larger fore stock attachment screw. Let me know which type you have.
FredInIdaho
Beginner

Post by FredInIdaho »

Hi, I have a round ring type, there is no lock screw.

I thought it was called an escutcheon, but I couldn't figure out how to spell it and neither could the spell checker. Thanks for that, I will never forget it, I think.
FredInIdaho
Beginner

Post by FredInIdaho »

Hi, I tried to reply the other day but I guess it was not approved or something, anyway it's not here. I apologize for the slow response.

I have the round ring, there is but one screw.

Fred
mperkins
Beginner

Post by mperkins »

Hello Fred , I have some lock screw esct. and related screws, but these probably would not be worth the work to install if you could in any way find what you need.The esct. you are looking for might be found at Gun Parts ( Numrich). The esct.(406990) I found, on this site, for various early type foreends, seems to be lock type esct. because the associated locking screws are also listed. I would however call and ask about the esct. listed and ask if the round type esct. could be in the same bin or elsewere. If you are missing the screw you need one without the relief cuts for the lock screw, you may have to ask about this also.

This company manages an ocean of old gun parts and it is fotunate that the steel in these parts a not now in car fenders, count your blessings if they have what you want. As a back up plan, a winchester 1897 esct. may be worth a try. Let me know how you make out with Gun Parts, if you you strike out, there are other Marlins and makers that used esct. reinforced attachments.

Also a cracked foreend, if cracked through the esct. will probably not hold up to use. Winchester and Marlin gave up this type of attachment because of its fragility. It would be usefull to be able to sleeve particularly nice pieces of wood for use on these early action slides. John
FredInIdaho
Beginner

Post by FredInIdaho »

Hi, and Thanks again. I will try Numrich, also my gunsmith says he may have one somewhere. Most of the money he estimated for me is for gluing the stock. It is in three pieces. When it's all done I won't shoot it much and I may see if I can find a way to do it with a different forend. I'm trying to find another one of these that does not have that, I want one to shoot.

Fred Norton