Model 19S Question Grade C

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Beginner

Model 19S Question Grade C

Post by 1893 »

Hello,

Could someone tell me what the S means in the 19S, also are these shotguns unsafe to shoot? I can't find much info on these shotguns so any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated. The blue book i have says the 19S in grade-C is worth $675.00 max. That seems cheap for a factory engraved shotgun, is this a REAL WORLD price?? Seems cheap to me. I would like to know how many 19s's were produced, the book says 2-yr. run, but no production numbers. Also does the serial numbers on the receiver match the barrel on these guns?

Thanks in advance for your help
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Model 19S Question Grade C

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

1893;

The "S" designates that this was an "improved" version of the Model 19. While it was in production, Marlin came up with some improvements that needed to differentiate it from the earlier versions. If you look in the parts sections of the old Marlin catalogs, they state that any letter version needs to be stated when ordering parts. Exactly waht improvements were utilized in the Model 19-S is hard to say, most likely something internal that you cannot see from the outside.
I know of no one that relies on any price guide for accurate pricing. Any "C" Grade shotgun will bring more than $675.00. There has been a Model 30, C Grade on Gun Broker that needs a little TLC offered for about $1,500.00. If it were not for the refinished stock and added butt pad, it could be an interesting gun to add to a shotgun collection. The reason the price guides are so far off in regards to Marlin shotguns it that there are not that many people out the collecting them, so little activity is seen in the pricing. Good Marlin shotguns will bring a fair price on the internet auction sites.
There are no records for the Model 19 or 19-S Marlin shotgun. What records do exist are mostly the Model 1898, and a few Model 16's. The range of serial numbers for the records are from 19,000 to 67,000. If you have a Marlin shotgun in that serial number range, then it will be listed by Model, gauge, barrel length, barrel serial number (and I believe the choke), grade if other than an "A" grade, and the date is was shipped. And no, the barrel number will not match the receiver number.
These guns can be made safe to shoot, but only with light loads. There are safety tests to run to determine if your gun is safe. If it fails any test, then either fix it or do not shoot it.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Beginner

Re: Model 19S Question Grade C

Post by 1893 »

Thank you very much for the info....