old marlin shotgun

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

martyj
Beginner

old marlin shotgun

Post by martyj »

I have an old Marlin with no model number on it and has patented dates of 11/06/1894-05/12/1896 & 03/021896. The serial # is 70471 on the receiver and 71413 on the barrel. It is a 12 gauge with a pistol grip stock on it.
I was wondering about when it was made and what the little button on the right does. It does have spring tension on it but does not appear to do anything.
I took it to the local gun smith and he said mechanically it was in good shape but was not sure what the button was for.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks martyj
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: old marlin shotgun

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Martyj;

Get a new gunsmith! You have a Marlin Model 1898, exposed hammer, pump action shotgun that would have been made around 1905 or so.
That little button has to work or the gun is not safe to shoot. It is a "Hang Fire Safety Release" that prevents the action from being opened unless the gun has been fired. The firing recoil will "set off" the hang fire safety release so the action can be opened without pushing the button. If you can open the action without pushing the button and the gun not fired, then there are internal problems that can make the gun unsafe to shoot. Everything inside these old Marlin shotguns must be in complete working order to be safe to shoot. If there is a problem, then the shooter is in danger of having the breech bolt release from the action upon firing. (think about where your head is when you are shooting)
The very first post here in the shotgun section is on checking and repairing these shotguns. You might want to get familiar with it.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
martyj
Beginner

Post by martyj »

It does help some and come to the conclusion that its not functioning as intended.
Locks up tight if you hammer the forearm fully close and will release the bolt if you push the firing pin in with your thumb or let the trigger drop against the firing pin but the little button doesn't appear to be doing its job.
Thanks for the help and off to try to find a gunsmith that knows
AdioSS
Beginner

Post by AdioSS »

I have a slightly newer Model 43 12ga from the 20s that has a button on the side of the receiver that quickly unloads the shells from the magazine tube when pressed.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

AdioSS;

The Model 43 is a hammerless shotgun that has a different hang fire safety release system than the afore mentioned exposed hammer shotgun. The hammer guns have the same magazine release button on the left side of the receiver that does the same thing as your button on the left side does. When you press it, it allows the shells in the magazine tube to be "ejected" from the magazine tube, out the bottom of the receiver.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.