Is this a real mod 17 riot gun?

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

WINGATE
Beginner

Is this a real mod 17 riot gun?

Post by WINGATE »

A friend of mine who owns a gun shop just got an odd shotgun that I'm considering purchasing from him since its unlike anything that I have now. I removed the barrel and it measures exactly 19-3/4". The only marking on the barrel are 12 GA. and NATIONAL FIRE ARMS CO. It doesn't have "Marlin" stamped anywhere on it or the model number. The stock serial number matches the shotguns number and has what appears to be a Springfield cartouche on the left side of the stock. The metal is covered with a hard black paint that looks very durable. It passed all of the safety checks, so I'm leaning toward buying this even if its not right. I'm not even sure if this is a real Marlin or a model 17 so I thought I would ask the experts. Below are clickable thumbnails
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Is this a real mod 17 riot gun?

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Wingate;

First off,it is a Marlin product, but this would not be a Marlin Model 17. The Model 17 is a straight grip, non-takedown action gun whereas this gun has a pistol grip stock and is a takedown action. It would appear to closer to a Model 24 from what I can see. It has the later style forearm and takedown system as found on the Model 24. Would need to see a picture of the right side of the receiver to be sure.
It would appear from the pictures that the front sight post is to close to the end of the muzzle to be a real riot gun. The sight post should measure 11/16 inch (to the center of the post) from the end of the barrel to be correct. But, since the barrel measures 1/4 inch short, maybe that 1/4 inch has been cut off for some reason to make the sight closer to the end of the barrel.
Check the barrel serial number. There should be a letter with the serial number, and that letter should be a "C" for cylinder bore or open choke that all riot guns had. If it is an "F" or a "M", then the barrel has been cut.
It may be someone's attempt to fake a military trench gun with the Springfield cartouche and the application of a dark finish, so do be careful.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
WINGATE
Beginner

Post by WINGATE »

The sight measures exactly 1/4" shy of being 11/16" from the end. I can't find any serial number on the barrel, but I did find an F, so I assume this has been cut down. The price he has on it is $495, sound too high?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Wingate;

That is entirely up to you. If you feel comfortable paying that much for a modified gun that is good for home defense, then okay. But keep in mind it has little collectable value after being cut down and refinished.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Eug123
Beginner

Post by Eug123 »

Curious to know if this gun is at a shop in Roanoke Va. I have been looking at one that looks exactly like it.
Don