Model No. 17-S date of manufacture

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Scattergun
Beginner

Model No. 17-S date of manufacture

Post by Scattergun »

Does any one know where to find manufacture dates for the model 17-S ? Serial 146376. How can you tell if its a cut off or not?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Model No. 17-S date of manufacture

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Scattergun;

For such a simple question, the answer became rather complicated.
First, the front sight post should be 11/16's inch (to the center of the post) from the muzzle on an original barrel. This should not vary as the sight hole would have been drilled using a machining jig that places the end of the barrel at the same point, and then the hole drilled into the top of the barrel for the post. The Model 17 was made with 20, 26, 30 and 32 inch barrels. The edges are very slightly rounded, and you may even see a turning ring where the end of the barrel was finish cut in a lathe.
Now for the date of production. I checked some old, original Marlin catalogs to see if I could come up with an answer. In the 1909 catalog, Marlin claims to have made just over 100,000 shotguns since beginning production in 1898. There is no 1910 catalog, so I looked at the 1911 catalog, and there, Marlin claims to have produced just under 150,000 of the shotguns since 1898. Here is the problem, the Model 17 was only listed in the catalogs from 1906 to 1908. By the serial number,and information in the catalogs, your Model 17-S coulda, shoulda, woulda been made around early to mid 1911. The Marlin shotgun serial numbers were like the lever action rifle serial numbers, starting with number 1 and continuing on from there no matter what model was in production at the time.
The "S" versions are usually considered an upgraded version of the Model 17 with some type of improvements over the old Model 17. What the improvements are really has not been researched at this time. There was also a "G" version that was made much later, after the beginning of WW I with the takeover by Marlin-Rockwell using parts on hand to make sporting arms during the war. The "G" version had the upgraded "hang fire release" that was located down by the trigger guard instead of the push pin release, up near the hammer.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Scattergun
Beginner

Post by Scattergun »

This is a huge help. I appreciate your efforts. I measured the barrel and found it to be 19 5/16" from reciever to end. The sight post is a shade over 11/16" from the bore though the sight post hole goes all the way into the bore. The barell is marked 98106C. Does this sound like an original piece? Would you happen to know if it is a Brush Gun, Riot Gun or other? Thanks.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Scattergun;

The "C" in the barrel serial number indicates a cylinder bore or open choke which was used on the 20 inch barreled riot guns. Remeasure the barrel, this time using a dowel or something to stick in the end of the barrel to measure to the breech bolt face. It should really measure right at 20 inches. Brush guns had 26 inch barrels.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.