marlin model 1898 grade C verses D ID

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

buckeylee
Beginner

marlin model 1898 grade C verses D ID

Post by buckeylee »

I have a very nice looking Marlin 1898 Shotgun I just got in. I am trying to track down whether it is a Grade C or Grade D. Can anyone tell me what the difference is in the engraving between the 2. Did they have different scenes engraved?
thanks!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: marlin model 1898 grade C verses D ID

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Buckeylee;

The differences in the engraving is:

Left side of "C" grade has flying ducks surrounded by some scroll work. Right side will have 2 flying ducks on breech bolt with scroll work on frame below bolt.

Left side of the "D" grade has a partridge on the ground and some flying while surrounded by considerable scroll work. Right side has woodcock standing on the ground on frame below breech bolt.

Also some differences will include:

The "C" grade gun will have a Special Smokeless Steel barrel whereas the "D" grade will have a Damascus barrel.
The "D" grade will have gold plated screws and trigger and the "C" grade will not.
"C" grade has fancy grained figured walnut and the "D" grade has London oil finished circassian walnut stocks.
The checking on "C" grade resembles the Marlin "B" grade checking as found on the lever guns and the "D" grade is very fine line checkered (about 32 lines per inch) and much fancier than the "B" grade style.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
buckeylee
Beginner

Post by buckeylee »

Great, you have no idea how much I searched for this info, and I an very computer savvy, my wife and I own a Apple Computer store and have been working on systems and selling on the net since before standard we browsers ( 1993 ). I bought this gun, a grade C, as I now know, for $220 plus $50 fees and shipping. I am very pleased with it. Thanks again!!
Buckeylee
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Buckeylee;

Send me an email with the serial number if it is between 19,601 and 67,000 and I will tell you what the factory records have for it.

kl1450
Beginner

Post by kl1450 »

What resources are available for s/n that fall outside 19,601 and 67,000 ?
I own #78103, 16-ga model 19-c with 28" tube.

Considering #13702 (M1898-c) and #12396 (M28-b) to add to the Marlin stable.

-KL
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Kl450;

The Model 19 was a 12 gauge gun, not a 16 gauge gun. If your upper tang is unmarked and is a 16 gauge, then you have a Model 16 Marlin shotgun. Most of the guns listed in the records are the Model 1898, but towards the tail end, there are some Model 16's listed. I have two (2) Model 16's, one in the 58,000 range and the other in the 78,000 range. The gun in the 58,000 range was shipped in September of 1903.
There are no other records for the Marlin shotguns that are known to exist. The records that do exist list the model, gauge, barrel length and barrel serial number, the date is was shipped and of course the grade of gun if other than the standard "A" grade gun.

rampant horse
Beginner

Post by rampant horse »

I have a model 19 grade D circassian walnut stocks,damascus 28 inch barrel, serial #97667. I would like to know year of manufacter,and any other history on this shotgun. This was a very nice gun when it was new, now it is well used with no finish left. The engraving is still nice, checkering is worn almost smooth.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Rampant Horse;

Ufortunately, since the records are incomplete, there is no history or date of shipping available for your Model 19, D Grade shotgun. The Model 19 was listed in the old Marlin catalogs in 1906 & 1907. The D Grade shotgun was listed at $90.00 which was a lot of money in those times, especially, since the next lower grade, the C Grade sold for $40.80. The D Grade is more than double the C Grade gun, and both had fancy stocks and factory engraving on the receiver. It is no wonder that there are far more C Grade guns than D Grade guns. I would estimate that your D Grade Model 19 was made around 1907 since it has such a high serial number in the Model 19.
The Model 19 is a takedown action and the Model 19 was an improvement over the original Marlin Model 1898, exosed hammer, pump action shotgun.