Model 21 question

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

blaster
Beginner

Model 21 question

Post by blaster »

Hi, I'm new to this forum and collecting Marlins. recently I bought a National Firearms hammer pump shotgun off Gun Broker. I learned that this is actually a Marlin mod. 21. the gun is in very good condition but for some reason the action will only open when I push the disconnector (?) button on the right side of the reciever. I have to do this even after the trigger has been pulled and the gun is in the fired position. I am assuming that something is worn, broken or missing inside the gun. does anyone have any ideas? I don't have an exploded drawing or any dissassembly instructions in any of my gunsmithing books so I am refraining from taking it apart. I am an amature gunsmith and have done plenty of work on my other guns but this shotgun looks pretty complicated inside. thanks in advance for any help or info
Mike
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Model 21 question

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Mike;

Actually, your gun is working correctly. Unless the gun is fired, you will have to push the "hang fire safety release" button to open the action. It is a safety feature to prevent the shooter from opening the gun on an unexploded shell without taking some time and precautions.
You can see a parts diagram for the exposed hammer pump shotguns at www.e-gunparts.com, but it really does not help much. If you are an "amature" gunsmith, this is not a gun to start out on without experience on the Marlin shotguns. They can be quite complicated if you are not careful.
There is a good post here at the beginning of the "SHOTGUN" sections about working on these exposed hammer shotguns. I suggest you study it and the pictures closely before starting anything. It will help!
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
blaster
Beginner

Re: Model 21 question

Post by blaster »

thanks for the reply Gunrunner, I was baffled as to why it wouldn't open even after I dry fired it. I havent gotten around to shooting it yet. I have been studying the dissassembly pics here and it doesn't look like a mechinism that I would want to tear into for the fun of it!