Marlin Mark I

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Dave's Marlin
Beginner

Marlin Mark I

Post by Dave's Marlin »

I received a Marlin Mark I shotgun from my father-in-law. I have been to three gun shops and all over the Internet. This must be the rarest gun on the planet, as I cannot find anything out about it. I know it's a pump-action, single modified choke 28" barrel. France got the credit for producing it. I am guessing it was made in the mid-1950's. It is in beautiful condition, but has not been shot in over 20 years. I am taking it to the range this Friday to put some shells through it. I would like information about the model's history, reputation and value. Thank you!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin Mark I

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Dave's Marlin;

The Marlin Premier pump action shotguns were made between 1960 and 1963. There were 7,650 of the Mark I series made during the production run. Of those, 3,530 had the 28 inch, modified barrel. The receiver was made in France, but the barrel was made by Marlin and installed in the U.S. The Mark I sold for $89.95 when new.
These were not to popular as they were to light in weight for the magnum shells. The recoil can punish your shoulder if you use the magnum shells.
Depending upon condition, value can be between $150.00 and $250.00
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Dave's Marlin
Beginner

Post by Dave's Marlin »

I put 50 pigeon shells through the Mark I on Friday. One guy at the range saw the gun and came over to see it (like I said, it looks amazing). He said "I'm glad I'm not shooting that. It looks good, but your shoulder is going to feel it." :shock: There is no cushion whatsoever on the buttstock. So, I had to deal with flinch on the first shot, because of all the warnings. Well, he must have been soft, because my shoulder was fine. The gun shoots perfect. I am going to take it pheasant hunting later this month and maybe I'll even put a few magnum rounds through it.
DadsMark1
Beginner

Post by DadsMark1 »

I have a mark 1, I need to do some work on the stock. Does anyone have any info on replacing a broken/loose stock? Thanks so much.
SubVet68
Beginner

Post by SubVet68 »

Dave's Marlin, and Regnier (Gunrunner):
I have a Mark I, 12 gauge, 28 in. barrel, modified choke,that my father gave me for Christmas when I was 15 years old. It has a light (blonde) walnut stock and still is in beautiful condition today. Light as a feather, smooth action, shoots well (and kicks well). Have used it off-and-on for over 55 years for hunting, turkey shoots, clay birds, etc. Don't get to shoot it very often anymore, but still one of my most cherished guns if for no other reason than because my Dad gave it to me.
Never was able to find much info about it until I read Regnier's post...thanks.
PeterGip
Beginner

Marlin Mark I

Post by PeterGip »

Good looking guns. The Marlin may have just been someones fix up project on a budget, been there. At any rate you have some nice firearms that need to be fed and cleaned on a steady regimen
Iahwki
Beginner

Post by Iahwki »

To SubVet68:

Except for the "turkey shoots", this is my story to a T. Great gun; great memories.