Largest Calibre in Any Marlin Lever Action Rifle

Anthing you think is a big bore

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

28 gauge
Beginner

Largest Calibre in Any Marlin Lever Action Rifle

Post by 28 gauge »

Just wondering what the largest calibre ever used in a Marlin lever action rifle was?Were there ever any 50 calibre Marlin lever action rifles?
28 Ga.Society http://28gasociety.proboards.com

Canadian Gunnutz www.canadiangunnutz.com
Parley Baer
Distinguished Expert

Re: Largest Calibre in Any Marlin Lever Action Rifle

Post by Parley Baer »

.45 caliber is the biggest I'm aware of. This would include the lever shotguns and leaving out the single shot Ballards.
It's a chancey job and it makes a man watchfull....and a little lonely.
28 gauge
Beginner

Post by 28 gauge »

Thank-you for the reply,Parley Baer.What was the largest calibre Ballard?

Parley Baer
Distinguished Expert

Post by Parley Baer »

With the Ballard you have the.50-70 govt. and the .56-56 Spencer that I can think of off the top of my head.
It's a chancey job and it makes a man watchfull....and a little lonely.
28 gauge
Beginner

Post by 28 gauge »

Seems to me that the .56-56 Spencer was a rimfire cartridge.If so then that would make tha Ballard rifle available in both rim and centre fire.If so, this is something I was not aware of.

Guess I am getting a little off track with this thread and should really be asking these questons on the Ballard section of the boards. :)

smith156
Beginner

Happy New Year 2011!

Post by smith156 »

tdco44
Beginner

Post by tdco44 »

I did see one 1893 reworked to a 50/110 about 6 years ago, a gunsmith had built it, kind of wish it was a production gun, that a hard hitting cartridge.
There is a Marlin cartridge listing for 1885 for the Model 1881 Lever gun and it shows 5 cartridges the largest is 45-85 Marlin. I have never seen one, but it was listed, Typically the 45-85 was a Winchester round for the 86 Model using the basic 45-90 case, I don't have any information on the 45-85 Marlin, but it could have been made for a short time. Maybe some knows the answer.
jorgy
Marksman 1st Class

Post by jorgy »

I have in my collection a 1895 Marlin pistol grip chambered for 45-85 Marlin. There is a difference
between the 45-85 Marlin & the 45-85 WCF. The 45-85 Marlin is basically the cartridge as the 45-70.
If my memory serves me correctly the 45-85 has 5 more grains gunpowder & 5 grains less lead.
I shoot 45-70 shells in my 45-85. I would not want to pull the trigger on the "1893" that was reworked for the 50-110 WCF. Even if was chambered in the old 1895 Marlin the action would not
be long enough & you would have to use the gun as a single shot. I think the 50-110 would place too
much stress on the action. I have seen Marlins in 45-90 rechambered to 50-110 but again for safety's
sake I would not pull the trigger. The 45-85 WCF was Winchester called a "express load" & is even longer than the 45-90 WCF. I have 2 original rounds & have compared them side by side.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

28 gauge wrote:Seems to me that the .56-56 Spencer was a rimfire cartridge.If so then that would make tha Ballard rifle available in both rim and centre fire.If so, this is something I was not aware of.

Guess I am getting a little off track with this thread and should really be asking these questons on the Ballard section of the boards. :)
The .56-56 Spencer was a Ballard cartridge, but not a Marlin Ballard cartridge. Marlin didn't chamber their Ballards in RF calibers that large since their reversible firing pin system wouldn't cover rim diameters that large.
I'm not positive which of the 4 previous Ballard makers chambered it, I'd guess it was Dwight Chapin, or maybe Ball & Williams Ballards.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Red Blaze
Beginner

Post by Red Blaze »

As far as I know the 45-90 is the largest, but, I have an 1895 28" that Woodeneye at the Cody Museum dates to 1899. As a 45-90. But according to Brophy in about 1900 Marlin would chamber on special order to any available cartridge that would fit. It is now a 50-110. It has correct Marlin role stamp on the barrel and the 50-110 markings are not an overstrike and there is no sign of an older marking being removed. The finish on the barrel matches the rest of the gun. It has an original set of Lyman Beech style front sight and tang sight with the locking lever. That sight has ruined 2 pair of very expensive glasses so I don't use it. I shoot a 350 Lyman bullet with 105gr. Swiss #1, You definetly know when it goes off. I just got back from a Cowboy shoot where we could use big bore rifles. I decreased the powder charge to 75gr. 1f with corn meal to cover. Self preservation.... I shot 75 rounds this weekend.
It is an unusual rifle that I am proud to own. Larry
Road King
Expert

Post by Road King »

Can we see some photos of this rifle? :)
Road King
" More guns then I need, but not as many as I want."