Info on a Marlin

Anthing you think is a big bore

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Mr fixit
Beginner

Info on a Marlin

Post by Mr fixit »

.54 caliber... that's big bore, right? :lol: If you guys here can help, I'd appreciate it. Mr fixit
http://www.marlinowners.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=27391
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Mr. Fixit;

If you are referring to a Marlin .54 caliber gun, then the only gun they made was the MLS 54 (also made a MLS 50). These were a muzzle loading rifle introduced in 1997. They were only made a couple of years and were not big sellers.
I hope this helps.
Mr fixit
Beginner

Post by Mr fixit »

Just wondering if it would be worth picking up. were they any good or not around long enough for anybody to access them? Thnaks for the response. Mr fixit
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Mr. Fixit;

The MLS 54 & MLS 50 were designed to shoot either right or left handed. The cocking lug was designed to fit on either side.
The only complaints I heard was that they had a very stiff hammer spring making it a little hard to cock and noisy when doing so.
Value, depending upon what they want for it, current price guides show them to be in the $150.00 for good condition to $300.00 for NIB. You cannot hurt the synthetic stock, so why wouldn't they all be better than good.
Mr fixit
Beginner

Post by Mr fixit »

off hand I would say good to very good condition,' course I didn't have my bore light with me at the time. seeings how it's a pawn shop, I have a very heavy large gold chain I no longer wear, I wonder if they'd be willing to talk to me. List on the rifle is 119.00+ tax etc., I think the chain was estimated around $275-325. I'd be willing to take the Marlin and $75.00 otd, unless of course there's a .444 sitting there calling me! Bought the chain back some time ago for $75.00, so I 'm thinking I wouldn't be losing. If I buy it, did this rifle use "standard black powder components, this would be an entirely new field for me to venture into. Thanks, Mr fixit
shotley
Pro-Marksman

Post by shotley »

Mr Fixit, my Marlin catalogues show the 50 and 54 cal muzzleloaders being offered in 1997,1998 and 1999. I bought a 54 cal four years ago on gunbroker and it has been fun. Marlin Firearms Co. was able to supply me with a manual (free) and a nipple wrench (around $7). The 54 cal bullets are not as common in our area as the 45 or 50 cal. so I bought a bullet mold and cast my own. It seems to perform as well as any other in-line muzzleloaders that are in use by my shooting friends.
Mr fixit
Beginner

Post by Mr fixit »

Just wanted to say thanks for the responses, I decided to pass on the MLS 54. Passed the info on to someone else over on the MarlinOwners forum, he said he'd be interested in it as he already had 3 of them and was looking for a 4th. Mr fixit