1895 questions from new member

Anthing you think is a big bore

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Old Coastie
Beginner

1895 questions from new member

Post by Old Coastie »

Hello. Just found and joined this AM.

Earlier this year I came into possession of a NIB model 1895, serial #B003XXX. As best as I can figure this is a 1972 production rifle, is that correct? It has a post type front sight, no ramp or hood, with a brass bead. It is a straight grip stock with a squared lever.

I have several questions, if no one minds.

I have read somewhere that the B0 serial number rifles had non-Marlin barrels. Is that true or just one of those rumors that gets started but can't be proved?

The rifle is in excellent condition (unfired). That being said, should I disassemble it to insure there is no rust starting that is hidden by the stock. If I should, can someone point me to step by step directions.

If possible I would like to find out as much as possible about this particular rifle. Can Marlin supply me shipping date and whom it was sent to. I plan on passing her on to my son.

And lastly, are the factory sights regulated for any particular load. If they are, and the rifle range I use re-opens, which step on the rear sight elevator should I start on for 100 yds.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Good shooting.
Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not really after you!
djh
Beginner

Post by djh »

Any chance of you posting a picture of the rifle?
Old Coastie
Beginner

Post by Old Coastie »

Here are a couple of pictures I took this AM.

Good shooting.
Leverdude
Marksman

Post by Leverdude »

Nice rifle.
I'v heard the same thing about the barrels but dont know the answer.
Does it have a JM in an oval? Thats a Marlin trademark, might not be on outsourced barrels.
Ken,

http://photobucket.com/albums/a186/Leverdude/?

Freedoms not free!
Support your NRA!
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

Butt stock is easy, remove the screw through the tang and tap the stock away from the receiver, if it has never been apart it may take some effort. I usually do this next to the bed so the butt stock will fall on the bed i.e. no wood damage. The forearm starts with removing the end cap screws then removing the screw through the end of the mag tube. You can then slide the end cap forward and pull the mag tube off the post where you removed the screw. I often hold my hand over the end as when the tube clears the post the cap in its end will pop out from the spring pressure. Once it is out gently move the forearm down and forward so it comes loose at the receiver. If there is any rust just clean with either a brass wool or 0000 steel wool and your favorite gun oil or Kroil. I would use a 410 shotgun brush or pad to clean the mag tube, this seems to get overlooked. When you are done then wipe off any excess oil so it won’t collect dust and cause it to get gummy.
Finally while it is apart if you are so inclined follow the directions for tuning up a lever action that are in the reference section at Marlinowners.com
GBOT, GBUSA
Old Coastie
Beginner

Post by Old Coastie »

Good call LeverDude. On the left side of the barrel very near the receiver is the left end of an oval, a very clear capital J and a light vertical line which I guess is the left side on an M. No top, bottom or right side of the oval. I found nothing else on the barrel except the standard boilerplate of the time.

Sureshot, I might attempt disassembling her tomorrow. It doesn't sound too complicated. Where might I find brass wool as I don't recall ever seeing it?

Thanks to all for the information. Hopefully someone will be able to help with my other questions.

Good shooting.
djh
Beginner

Post by djh »

Old Coastie:

Thanks for the pictures. What an origional find.

Based on the picture on page 233 and the information I read on page 234/235 of the Brophy book Marlin Firearms I would say you have a jewel.

If your gun was made in 1972, it will have a 8 grooved barrel.
If your gun was made in 1973, it will have a 12 grooved barrel.

According to 44-40 Willy, another forum member, the first couple of years in production the 1895 barrels were outsourced to Douglas. I'm not sure where Willy got this information but reading his post through the years I would say he knows what he is talking about.

I quote Willy,
"1895: 1972- 45-70 Based on modified 336 action. Modern 1895 rifles from the first couple years production also have different numbering along with outsourced barrels (Douglas?)"

Congratulations on a wonderfull find, enjoy the old girl. Take care of her and she will take care of you.

djh
Last edited by djh on Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

Brass wool or 0000 Steel wool, hardware stores and lumber yards.
GBOT, GBUSA
Leverdude
Marksman

Post by Leverdude »

Where might I find brass wool as I don't recall ever seeing it?
I steal copper scrubbing from my wife. I gotta think theyre available at the supermarket.
Ken,

http://photobucket.com/albums/a186/Leverdude/?

Freedoms not free!
Support your NRA!
Old Coastie
Beginner

Post by Old Coastie »

DJH, thanks for the information. I checked and my barrel has 8 grooves, verifying that it is of 1972 manufacture. Hopefully, 44-40 Willy will come along and let us know where he got that information. I am not doubting him, but I would like something more definite, like maybe a letter from Marlin or Douglas. I am an engineer so I like to have hard data. My goal is to pass this rifle on to my son and hopefully he will do the same. The more hard facts I can give him with the rifle the better. Again thanks.

Sure-Shot and Leverdude, thanks for the lead on some brass wool. By the way Leverdude, you are a braver man than I. No way would I steal anything used for any purpose in the kitchen from SWMBO. I just ain't going there.

Thanks to all and good shooting.
Jim D
Distinguished Expert

Post by Jim D »

Old Coastie,

I've seen it as "Bronze Wool" also. I believe that was a True Value hardware store, in the paint and sandpaper section. You could probably check availablity online.

-jim
Old Coastie
Beginner

Post by Old Coastie »

Well, thanks to everyone's input, I got her taken apart and found no rust. Still went over the barrel and magazine tube very lightly with bronze wool which my local hardware store keeps in stock. I looked everywhere on the exposed portions of the barrel and found nothing to indicate it was anything but a Marlin barrel.

I do have an additional question, however. Please excuse my ignorance in not knowing the official name of the parts. Is the stud that is dovetailed into the barrel which holds the end of the magazine tube supposed to be in the middle of the dovetail. Mine is offset slightly to one side. The hanger for the front of the forearm is nicely located in the middle of its barrel dovetail. I sure don't want to go beating on it, even with a brass punch, if it's not necessary.

Thanks again to all of you. I am off to Marlin Owners to look at the action tune-up section.

Good shooting all.
Jim D
Distinguished Expert

Post by Jim D »

Old Coastie,

The stud for the magazine tube should be centered in the dovetail slot. Loosen the magzine screw and you may be able to push the stud over to center it. Otherwise loosen the fore end cap and drop the magazine tube from the stud. The stud should slide in the slot fairly easily with light tapping.

-jim