Marlin 1893 safety feature not working

Anthing you think is a big bore

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

BillBlab
Beginner

Marlin 1893 safety feature not working

Post by BillBlab »

On the Marlin Model 1893 I am restoring, the lever action safety feature is not working properly, As I understand this feature, the locking bolt should not come up and push the rear firing pin into place until the lever is completely closed. That is not happening.
With the lever almost closed, but not completely, you can pull the trigger and it forces the bolt closed. i.e. it "fires".
The only thing I can think of that is causing this is that the firing pin spring requires replacement. Is the solution? Thanks, Bill
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin 1893 safety feature not working

Post by marlinman93 »

The 1893 can drop the hammer when the lever is in any position, but it shouldn't strike the primer on a case until it's fully closed. Even with the firing pin spring totally removed, it wont strike a primer unless the back half of the firing pin is stuck in the up position, or the gun is turned upside down allowing the rear half to settle into alignment.
You should be able to fully open the lever, which draws the bolt back. Then you should be able to depress the rear of the firing pin up from the bottom of the bolt, and when released it should return out of alignment. If it doesn't there's a problem internally.
You may also have an issue with the bolt block not cleanly intersecting the bolt. If it catches on the firing pin it might push it up before the lever is closed. So check that also.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
BillBlab
Beginner

Post by BillBlab »

Marlinman93 - thanks once again for your advice.
I think the problem is with the rear firing pin spring. While it does push the pin down, it is sluggish and is does not push the pin back into the cut-out on the bolt. Therefore, the rear pin hangs up a bit on the front end and does not always drop back into the lowered (will not fire) position.
The locking bolt block is smooth and clean. It works just fine and engages the pin properly.
I am going to replace the spring and see if that helps.
Regards, Bill
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Something amiss with the return spring on the rear firing pin half if it doesn't easily force the pin down. Not sure I'd replace it, unless it's broken. But I would remove it and make sure it's sitting in the correct arrangement to work. I'd also check the tiny 90 degree bend on the end to make sure it's not too long and binding the pin instead of working correctly.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
BillBlab
Beginner

Post by BillBlab »

The firing pin spring appears to be in the correct position. I think it is just old and has lost some of it's "spring". For $4.00 it is worth replacing. Thanks again. I'll let you know how it goes.
Another order from NY and they are way behind as a result of the Virus!!! cheers, bill