Early 80s NIB Marlin 1895s in .45/70, .444, & .375 Win - Values?

Anthing you think is a big bore

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

DougB
Beginner

Early 80s NIB Marlin 1895s in .45/70, .444, & .375 Win - Values?

Post by DougB »

I received 3 Marlin 1895 rifles in a trade and am trying to figure out what they are worth. They are in the calibers indicated. They appear unfired and are in like-new condition. The guy who traded them to me inherited them from his father, who apparently bought them and just kept them in his safe. The .45/70 was made in 1982 (based on the S/N). I expect the others are from about the same time – though I haven't checked the dates of their serial numbers. They are blued, with uncheckered wood stocks. I think they have 22" barrels. They do not have cross-bolt safeties. They came in their original boxes. Given their nearly identical condition and age, how do the calibers impact their values? (I don't know if the less-common calibers make a rifle more or less valuable.) Any information on these guns - and particularly what they may be worth - will be much appreciated. Thanks.
DougB
Beginner

Re: Early 80s NIB Marlin 1895s in .45/70, .444, & .375 Win - Values?

Post by DougB »

Since no one here is replying, I'll reply to my own post with some information I've picked up from other forums and sources.

First, I apologize for referring to these all as 1895s. I had noticed that only the .45/70 version was marked as an 1895, but I thought that 1895 also referred to the action size/type (as distinguished from, for example, the 1894 or 336 actions). It turns out that the original 1895, which was a unique action (square bolt, etc.), was discontinued in 2015. The new/current 1895 is actually a variation of the 336 action, with some internal modifications and an enlarged ejection port to accommodate the larger cartridge. I gathered this information from an article by Chuck Hawks I found online.

Regarding values, I'm finding that there are two camps: (1) Collectors, traditionalists, and hunters/shooters who have been shooting lever-actions without manual safeties for a long time. These put a premium on NOT having the cross-bolt safety, and like these older models (especially in as-new condition), and (2) hunters and recreational shooters (especially younger ones) who are used to having cross-bolt safeties on their lever guns and don't mind them. Some people put an o-ring on the safety to keep it from being inadvertently engaged (which is a common issue - people accustomed to the older lever-actions forget to disengage the safety and lose their shot when hunting). Group 1 will pay more (probably up to a few hundred more) to get the older model. Group 2 values my older guns about the same as newly manufactured similar models.

The calibers are a similar situation. Collectors seems to put a premium on the less common calibers (.444, and especially, .375 Win.), while hunters and recreational shooters prefer the more common .45/70 (although a small number of them also like these other calibers and would pay a premium for them.

I was going to post a photo, but it looks like I would have to have it stored on a server with a URL link to do so. I just have them on my PC.

I would still appreciate any guidance on fair values for these guns (especially the .45/70). Thanks.
old boots
Beginner

Post by old boots »

DougB,
I'm a newbie here and certainly no expert. I was however at a gunshot in Albany, NY today and saw lots of used and new Marlins. Lots of 39's & 39A's. There were many .30-30's and .35's. On the average they were selling for around $500+/- depending on the condition. These would be the models without the button safety. There were more than a few .45-70's with prices from $550-$575. In both of the previously mentioned rifles I felt some were worth the price and some were not based on condition of the wood and steel. I saw no .375's or .444's. with or without the button safety.

The asking price for used rifles with the button safety were about the same as used non-button. I was at the show for about 3 hours and did not see one lever action sold. I'm kind of thinking the prices were on the high side but I suppose that gives the sellers room to negotiate... The prices of the new guns were higher as could be expected.

If you were interested in selling I possibly would be interested in the .444 depending on the price of course. If you decide to sell please contact me at: aptgdt@msn.com and put Marlin in the subject box. Please send pictures in any case if you don't mind.
Thanks,
old boots
shootrj2003
Marksman

Post by shootrj2003 »

I would expect the older JM rifles to be a bit higher than the new Remlins as from what I've seen and heard from professional gunsmiths,buyers and my own personal observations,Remlins have not as predicted gotten better with time,but have gotten cheaper ,in the matters of finish ,it is very obvious,in the matter of material quality I have heard from gunsmiths thief steel quality has become suspect either in type or in heat treatment,seems softer,thier words not mine and less steel in places that matter, also 1 report ,with pictures of a 1895 with a totally loose barrel,all these things have convinced me to do business strictly with the original Marlins. Hopefully some rich entrepreneur will buy them when Remington has destroyed thier value and rebuild them into a reputable company.Thats not likely but miracles do occur Until then I will buy JM.
being of a mind that an armed populace is a free populace.... i'm armed!