Model 1895M in 500 S&W?

Anthing you think is a big bore

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Silverback
Beginner

Model 1895M in 500 S&W?

Post by Silverback »

I haven't been on this board lately so I hope this hasn't been hashed over too much yet but are there any rumours or rumblings of Marlin possibly building a Model 1895 in 500 Smith and Wesson. I would buy one in a second if it came out, I think that it would be a great lever gun caliber. Any thoughts from you guys?
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

Heck, I'd buy one! BUT... Since the factory decided not to produce the 475/480 due to pressure concerns, I'd say the chances of us ever seeing one are slim at best. I've seen the folks on the big bore forum at MarlinOwners talking about Wild West Guns in Alaska making these right now... For a price! :shock: SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!
Silverback
Beginner

Post by Silverback »

I checked out the 500 S&W lever guns at Wild West Guns and they do look nice but like you say the price is quite high, here is the link if you want to have a look. It just looks like a beefed up Marlin to me.

http://www.wildwestguns.com/EStore/Mast ... wwg04.html
marlin1881
Beginner

Post by marlin1881 »

SteveW wrote:Heck, I'd buy one! BUT... Since the factory decided not to produce the 475/480 due to pressure concerns, I'd say the chances of us ever seeing one are slim at best. I've seen the folks on the big bore forum at MarlinOwners talking about Wild West Guns in Alaska making these right now... For a price! :shock: SW
Hi SteveW,

Was the chamber pressure concern, actually chamber pressure in the barrel, or bolt-head thrust? In other words, were they concerned about the chamber in the barrel blowing up, or were they concerned about shearing off the locking lug for the bolt?

On my old 1881, the locking lug is part of the lever (I believe) and locks the front of the bolt against the chamber. I imagine the 1895 does the same. Whereas, the Winchester locks at the rear of the bolt, and is not nearly so strong.

I'm open to corrections if I'm way off base here...

Marlin1881
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

marlin1881 wrote:
SteveW wrote:Heck, I'd buy one! BUT... Since the factory decided not to produce the 475/480 due to pressure concerns, I'd say the chances of us ever seeing one are slim at best. I've seen the folks on the big bore forum at MarlinOwners talking about Wild West Guns in Alaska making these right now... For a price! :shock: SW
Hi SteveW,

Was the chamber pressure concern, actually chamber pressure in the barrel, or bolt-head thrust? In other words, were they concerned about the chamber in the barrel blowing up, or were they concerned about shearing off the locking lug for the bolt?

On my old 1881, the locking lug is part of the lever (I believe) and locks the front of the bolt against the chamber. I imagine the 1895 does the same. Whereas, the Winchester locks at the rear of the bolt, and is not nearly so strong.

I'm open to corrections if I'm way off base here...

Marlin1881
The model 1895's lock up with a rising block, which intersects the bolt near the rear. This system has been used on all Marlin lever action centerfires since the model 1889. The model 1881 is a strong action for it's time, but nearly as strong as the later actions, even with their rear lockup.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Gurn
Beginner

Post by Gurn »

I heard the pressure on the 500 is lower than the 44 mag. If so, then pressure shouldn't be a problem.
shootrj2003
Marksman

Post by shootrj2003 »

The problem wasn't directly related to pressureThe problem seems to be that whne you make the barrel just a bit larger to accomodate the cartridge and then make the mag tube a bit larger for the cartridge you are then making the walls of the receiver thinner and the webb between the barrel and the mag tube thinner[and weaker]you can not change these facts .In Marlin's eyes you are simply taking away to much safety factor for thier comfort[technically AND legally]
In my eyes they are probably right and they need to design a magnum sized action to accomodate any caliber bigger than what they have now.This may not be realistic or economically feasible to them however possible it would be.how much would research and development cost as opposed to how many would buy them?$1000- $2000 for a lever rifle maybe? Just a guess,who knows?Shootrj2003
being of a mind that an armed populace is a free populace.... i'm armed!
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

Wild West Guns is making an offer on Marlinowners.com to do a commemerative for Marlinowners.com members. Offering a 457 (shoots a 45-70) and/or a 50 Alaskan. You must have 10 posts to be considered a member of the forum.
GBOT, GBUSA
daville
Pro-Marksman

Re: Model 1895M in 500 S&W?

Post by daville »

A few years ago I read an article on building a 500 S&W using a 450 marlin 1895. It claimed the 450 had a larger breech opening for more barrel strength. Also it had a different style thread then other 1895 receivers. It did state to only use the 450 receiver,better alloy??? I have seen modern 1895's crack between the mag tube and barrel, sent them back to marlin and they were not concerned. They did not offer replacing the receiver, maybe it happens more then we know. If I can find the article I'll try to post it.
Questions and answers only lead to more questions, my head hurts!
Bear 45/70
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Bear 45/70 »

The 44 mag pressure is 36,000 PSI while the 500 is 60,000 PSI. Way past the pressure limit of the 1895, so forget it, it is not gonna happen and if you do want to mod an 1895, good luck on finding a gunsmith willing to accept the liability. If he does, he is to stupid to be modding any guns.

Oh and according to Marlin all the 1895 receivers use the same metal.
Bear 45/70

"My pistol and my rifle are merely the tools, I am the weapon."
daville
Pro-Marksman

Post by daville »

I talked to Wild West at the Shot Show and their reply was no .500 S&W because of pressure, they are building the .500 Alaskan. Marlin (Remington) has totally retooled and hope to start building Cowboy Rifles again but no new calibers. They have begun building a series of engraved rifles, but stand in line for their delivery. Years ago there was a magazine article on building a .500 S&W on the .450 Mag receiver but I wouldn't do it.
Questions and answers only lead to more questions, my head hurts!