Marlin 1881 .45-70

Anthing you think is a big bore

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

sddav29
Beginner

Marlin 1881 .45-70

Post by sddav29 »

I have a Marlin 1881 .45-70. The only way you can load a round is to have the lever part way open. Is this normal?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin 1881 .45-70

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Sddav29;

No, this is not normal for the Model 1881. The only thing that I can think of right now is that someone MAY have put the magazine tube back in wrong. Basicaly, upside down. There is a notch in the magazine tube that allows the cartridge to enter the tube, and if the notch was put on the wrong side, then you do not have the clearance you should have, and maybe you are getting enough by opening the action somewhat.
The magazine tube plug would allow the tube to be put back incorrectly if the plug is loose from the tube. Originally, I believe the plug was soldered to the tube so that would not happen. The holes in the end of the tube will line up either right or wrong if the plug is loose and can be inserted into the end of the tube.
Or, has your magazine tube been cut off at some point, and the notch not been correctly cut on the receiver end?
You can take the forearm cap screw out, then slide the forearm forward to see the end of the magazine tube at the receiver end. With that done, you can see what is happening and not allowing the cartridge to enter the tube.
Good luck..........
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
sddav29
Beginner

Post by sddav29 »

I took the cap screw out and the notch is toward the right side of the firearm.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

I've seen the same thing happen when the carrier is not functioning properly. It sometimes gets crud inside the receiver and the carrier will partially block the loading gate, so opening the lever raises it out of the way. A worn out carrier will also affect timing and block the gate too. I'd give it a good cleaning and try that first.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!