What is it

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

mossyoak386031
Beginner

What is it

Post by mossyoak386031 »

I have a jm marlin-Ballard rifle the only thing stamped on the gun is jm marlin patent 1875, ballard patent 1861, and 6778 on the barrel and receiver that's all.it's missing the forearm and the trigger doesn't work and the butt stock needs replaced.the bluing is fair and so are the rifles in the barrel.I contacted Ballard arms and he told me in it's current condition $1000 to $1500 does that sound right?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: What is it

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Mossyoak386031;

Well, that sounds generous considering we do not know which Ballard rifle you have. There are about 12 different models of the Ballard, and some are considerably more valuable than others. In the condition described, it may be very high for the lower quality Ballards such as the more common Number 2 Sporting rifle, and it may be very low for the higher quality guns like a Number 6 Schuetzen.
The serial number does not help since there are very little (really no) serial number informaion available. We cannot tell which model you have from a serial number, nor do we know the caliber of your Ballard. That affects the value as well. Some Number 2 Sporting Rifle calibers are rarer than others, making them more desirable than the common ones, therefore more valuable.
We would need either a picture or a very complete describtion to determine which model Ballard rifle you have.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
mossyoak386031
Beginner

Post by mossyoak386031 »

Thanks for the help. It has a reversible firing pin,it has a full octagon barrel,the bluing is pretty good for the age.it's not a 22 the bore is to big.I actually didn't believe it was worth that much in the condition it's in.but I told him everything that was wrong with it.and thought to myself it can't be worth that.lol I'll try to post a pic. Thanks again
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

With the reversible firing pin system it's most likely a #2, but the #1 also had that feature. Either way, the quoted value is many times too high for one in the described condition.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
JimRowe
Beginner

Post by JimRowe »

The number 2 was put in many calibers up to 44-40 ( which did not have the reversible firing pin ) and can be easily identified by not only the pin but the three line address on the receiver. (although other cast actions such as the 3 , which was only made in .22 caliber rim or centerfire, have this address) the condition of your firearm is really relegating it to parts status. Unless you have the parts to put it back yourself it would be best to sell it as an action for someone else to dump way too much money in. ( look in the 200 to 250 range)You will see some incredible asking prices for these guns sometimes , although I think that is more people trading a ten thousand dollar dog for two five thousand dollar cats ,with no real money changing hands, but a decent # 2 goes for 800 to 1200 depending on condition. decent stock work and fixing the action could easily cost you that unless you are handy with the wood yourself. Most were in 32,38, and 44 rim or center fire with 32-20 and 44-40 cataloged as special order,So the calibers aren't that great for sinking a boatload into unless you really want something unique and like most of us feel a burning desire towards saving rusty metal . Put it up for sale and see who bites. Maybe you get lucky. It happens.
JimRowe
Beginner

Post by JimRowe »

Of course the fact that you have all the parts to your gun, it would be worth more depending on the bore. The serial number is low for a number 2, ( in my experience) perhaps more research is needed before you dump it cheap, any pictures ? any idea of the bore size? single trigger ? S lever or loop lever and does it have the original sights? they are 150 bucks alone. also you said the blue was good, I am assuming it is only blued on the barrel and it is original, that would bump up the value as well. There you have it, another vague posting. Pictures would tell more. I'm intrigued