remington barrel on a #6 ??

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

arboreast
Beginner

remington barrel on a #6 ??

Post by arboreast »

I have a #6 schutzen in the 1-2-10 www.belchermcpherson.com auction, page 13 item 317. This has been in the family forever. They made a comment that it has a Remington barrel and it impacts the gun. I dont know if this is a bad thing or not .
I am searching all over for details tonight, hope someone can advise.
If it doesnt sell for my price it will be for sale in a private sale, I have spent 500 miles getting this set up and now another issue, these auctions are a lot of work.
Please write to arboreast@aol.com as well as the forum
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: remington barrel on a #6 ??

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Arboreast;

What makes the auction company think this #6 Marlin Ballard has a Remington barrel? Is it marked Remington somewhere on it? What caliber is your Ballard? Ballard barrels are serial numbered to the gun under the forearm, have you ever checked for the serial number?
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: remington barrel on a #6 ??

Post by marlinman93 »

If your #6 does indeed have a Remington marked barrel on it, then it will most certainly affect it's value. It's not an unusual thing to find Ballards with other maker's barrels on them, and the #6 Schuetzen is even harder to find in original configuration, as most were customized by their shooting owners.
A Ballard with any other factory's barrel on it will probably lose 50% of it's value. A Ballard with any of the great custom barrel maker's barrel on them (Pope, Schoyen, Zischang, etc) will probably gain 50%-100% of it's value.
I couldn't navigate the auction site, so didn't find your Ballard #6 to view.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!