44-90 Sharps Necked 2 7/16 Cartridge Specs

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

pjogrinc
Beginner

44-90 Sharps Necked 2 7/16 Cartridge Specs

Post by pjogrinc »

HELP !!!!

Measured the chamber on my new to me Ballard 44-77 Sharps Bottle Neck (SBN) and came up with a case length that was longer than the 44-77 SBN. There are no cartridge stampings on the barrel. I have some cerrosafe on it's way to me and will do a chamber cast as soon as it gets here.

My measurement of case length came up at 2.460 inches in length as compared to 2.25 for the 44-77 SBN. All other measurements are close to both.

Can some one get me the 44-90 SBN 2 7/16 and 2 5/8 distance from the rim to shoulder length. As none of my sources have this information.

TNKS !!!
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: 44-90 Sharps Necked 2 7/16 Cartridge Specs

Post by marlinman93 »

2.46" is too short for the .44-90 SBN. That cartridge lists as 2.63" long. I think you've got the correct cartridge, but maybe it's throated for more bullet approach than we're used to these days. Or could be throated for breechseating?
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
pjogrinc
Beginner

Post by pjogrinc »

No, not throat. Actual case length of chamber. There is a step from there to the throat. No the chamber has not been messed with either. Re slugged the bore, this time I used a .452 45 Colt cast lead bullet and the grove diameter is .443 and bore is .451 inches.

There is a 44-90 SBN that was 2.46 (2 7/16) inches in length according to Cartridges of the World, although not common and was an earlier version.

The cartridge length and chamber dimensions also leave open the possibility that it could be a 44-90 Rem Special Necked.

Problem is, until I do a chamber cast when my Cerrosafe gets here, I wont know for sure. Previous owner said it was a 44-77 SBN and that is what he was shooting in it with good results.
pjogrinc
Beginner

Post by pjogrinc »

marlinman93 - - You where correct !!

WELL !!!! The Cerrosafe arrived today and just had to do a chamber cast. Doing a chamber cast removes all doubt ! :oops:

It is confirmed, it is a 44-77 SBN with free bore for the paper patched bullet. Without the chamber cast it appeared optically using a caliper, that the cartridge length was actually longer.

Anyway, tomorrow, the Ballard will be making smoke !!

Thanks for all of your inputs.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

I too have a .44-77 Rem/Sharps Bottleneck, but mine is on a #1 Rolling Block Sporting rifle. Like your's, mine also has a fair amount of freebore to accomdate the paper patch bullet, which lead me to wonder if that was what you had.
Mine confused me at first also, as it was marked "44S" and Rem. used that marking for about 4 different calibers. Mine didn't sort out until I did a chamber cast also.
That's a very rare caliber for a Ballard, and really adds to the desireability of your Ballard! You'll really love the chambering, as they can really put a heavy bullet way out there with ease!
pjogrinc
Beginner

Post by pjogrinc »

Found it !!! :D

44-90 SBN 2 7/16 is the same case as the 44-77 SBN with the bullet seated out to the same OAL as the standard 44-90 SBN. It did not last very long due to the bullet being held in by 1/4 to 3/16 of an inch depending on which bullet was used.

marlinman93 - - Have you tried to seat the bullet out to the 44-90 SBN length and then chamber the round ?? Bullet would have to be PP grove diameter or just slightly more and the groves would be just in front of or just touching the PP, according to the info I found. If it fits . . . . .

TNKS for all your help !
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

No, I haven't tried seating it out, as I don't shoot paper patch any more. Never had much luck with the PP bullets, so I shoot cast lubed.