JM Marlin Ballard #1

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

JM Marlin Ballard #1

Post by marlinman93 »

Here's a tough one to find. It was on a dealer's table at our OAC show this weekend, and I had to do a double take when I saw the round top receiver! A sure sign of a pre Marlin Ballard, but then I noticed the missing hand ejector of pre Marlin Ballards. Close examination showed the JM Marlin rollstamp on the receiver, and I instantly knew it was one of the rare Ballard #1 Models!
The #1 Ballard was assembled from leftover Brown Mfg. parts by Marlin, but adapted to John Marlin's patented automatic ejector as all later Ballards used. The caliber of all the Model #1 Ballards was .44 Ballard Long RF or CF. According to John Dutcher, only about 200 were made, so pretty scarce variation! One less I need to search for!
They came with 26", 28", or 30" full round barrrels only. This one has the 30" version.

Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Parley Baer
Distinguished Expert

Re: JM Marlin Ballard #1

Post by Parley Baer »

Wow, another nice fine. Not to bad of condition everything considered. :wink:
It's a chancey job and it makes a man watchfull....and a little lonely.
Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

Post by Hunt4em »

Val,
Nice rifle and very hard one to find. You said "One less you need to search for", I think you use the word search loosely as I believe these old Ballards search you out so they will have a good home. :mrgreen: Never seem to stumble onto a good Ballard in these parts. Seems they are always modified or as I like to call it, molested.
John
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Maybe we're searching for each other, and come to the same places to meet? :wink:
The seller actually came to me early Sat. a.m. to tell me he had a Ballard I might be interested, but I wasn't in a "buying mood", as I'm saving for a paint job on my '71 Camaro. I never went to look at it until he came back after lunch and asked again. I thought I'd be rude if I didn't make a cursory look, and return to my table, so I follwed him back to his.
I was a bit embarassed when I saw what it was, and started to think it might have been gone if someone else had known what it was! I'd have felt pretty stipid if I'd seen it walk by my tables in somebody's hand who bought it before I saw it!
Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

Post by Hunt4em »

When I find a gun that catches my interest and I know it's a good deal, I had better buy it right then. I can't count the times I have walked away a couple rows to make up my mind and come back to find it gone! If you find yourself really itching to put paint on that Camaro, I'm sure you might have a Ballard or two that I would be willing to take off your hands. :wink:
John
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Thanks John, but I sold a couple Marlins and a Stevens Tip Up Schuetzen. Paint is now officially covered, and headed to the shop in about two weeks! :D