Ballard #2 .32WCF

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Ballard #2 .32WCF

Post by marlinman93 »

After many years of searching, I've finally found one of the "Holy Grails" of Ballard #2 Hunters! I can't even remember when I began this search, but this weekend I stumbled across a guy who wanted to sell his "#4 Ballard" with double set triggers. A quick glance told me it wasn't a #4, as it has a cast receiver, and although it's a very early gun with no caliber stamping, it obviously wasn't in a caliber that any #4 Ballard was ever offered.
The seller produced this old box of Western .32-20, and said, "This is what it shoots."
I think my heart stopped for a few seconds, and I took another look at the chamber, and sure enough it was a #2 in .32-20! The bore is pretty nice, as is the exterior of the barrel. The gun is turning a bit brown, but lots of barrel blue still exiting. Of course the case colors are non-existent, but it does have a nice smooth finish to the metal. Stocks were pretty dry, so they will need lots of Snake Oil to bring them back to life.
The really neat things are the original midrange tang sight, and Ballard combination globe front sight, plus double set triggers, and the correct centerfire only breechblock, with all matching numbers! And to top it all off, it shoots extremely well! Seller had a 250 yd. range behind his home, so we set up targets at 50 yds. and shot most of a box of ammo through it.
I think this may complete every caliber for the #2 Hunter in my collection. I have them in .44 Ballard XL, .44-40, .38 Long, .32 Long, and now the .32-20. I hope that's all, or I'm going to go off on another search! :shock:

Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

Re: Ballard #2 .32WCF

Post by Hunt4em »

Val,
I see that magnet is still working! I'm glad to hear you are no longer in search of #2's, so now maybe some of the rest of us stand a chance of finding one. :P The last Ballard I found that caught my eye was a #3PG but me and the seller couldn't come to an agreement on the price. So I'm still searching!
John
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Thanks John! I'll keep looking, maybe I'll find one for you now! :wink:
Parley Baer
Distinguished Expert

Post by Parley Baer »

Very nice rifle and a good find.
It's a chancey job and it makes a man watchfull....and a little lonely.
arkansawyer
Beginner

Post by arkansawyer »

For those of you looking, Rock Island Auctions has four #2's coming up for auction in their June show, the catalog is on line now. From the description it sounds as if they were in a house fire and received some moderate damage. Lot #191
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Yes, I saw those at RI. Not too badly damaged if I remember, as I think the wood was still intact. Would make a good project gun.
Hunt4em
Sharpshooter

Post by Hunt4em »

Rock Island has two #3's and two #2's , as the first two listed are .22 cal. and the other two are .32 and .38 if I recall correctly. I'm curious as to the barrel length, as all four are listed as 26". I don't have a #3 with a 26" barrel yet. This would fill the gap between 24,28 and 30! :roll:
John