What is it?

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

arkansawyer
Beginner

What is it?

Post by arkansawyer »

I have what looks like a percussion adapter for my 40-85 ballard. Same size externally as the brass case except made of steel. The percussion nipple is deeply recessed and takes a #10 cap. The nipple looks like it is made to unscrew. The inside of the adapter is two chambered, the bottom chamber next to the flash hole is smaller, about a quarter inch wide by 1.116 long which opens up wider to the second chamber which is .370 inches wide by 1.036 long to the end of the adapter and then flares at the very mouth to .041 inches. It will hold 40 grns. ffg loosley filling it to the very mouth. This piece is very well made and fits the chamber very well. My uninformed opinion is it may be an adapter to shoot a reduced load. It looks like the bullet would have to be seated into the rifling and the base would barely rest in the flare at the end. Has anyone seen one of these or know anything of them? ....Roy
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: What is it?

Post by marlinman93 »

Haven't seen a commercial one, and your's might be either a very well made one, or possibly the first commercial one?
Anyway, they usually used a round ball situated on top of the case with a load of blackpowder and a nipple underneath. Haven't seen a .40 either, but I've seen them in both .44 and .38 caliber adapters. I actually shot one that a friend had that adapted the .44 Ballard Extra Long. Used it in one of my #2 Ballards in that caliber and it was a hoot to use! Accuracy was so-so, but it would take game in a pinch.
I've always guessed they were made so a guy with a cartridge gun could still squeek by if he ran out of loaded cartridges, as long as he had powder, balls, and caps.-Vall
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

Would really like to see some photos. I have never seen one.
GBOT, GBUSA
arkansawyer
Beginner

Post by arkansawyer »

Sure Shot,
I will try to take some pics to post in the near future.....Roy
arkansawyer
Beginner

Post by arkansawyer »

Let's see if these pics will post.....Image
Image[/img]
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

Thank you, I would have walked by one of those on a table at a gun show without realizing what I was seeing. I hope, if I saw one now I would know what it is. Randy
GBOT, GBUSA
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

That looks just as I expected. Almost every one I've seen was such good quality that I figured they were either made by a craftsman, or a company. I toyed with the idea of having a couple made up for some of my Ballards, but never got around to it.-Vall
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!