New Ballard

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

JohnnieDavis
Beginner

New Ballard

Post by JohnnieDavis »

Hi all, new to the forum, just wondering what exactly I have. the barrel mics out to .358 dia. the barrel is 26 1/2" long.

thanks

JD

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f287/ ... 091305.jpg
http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f287/ ... 91305a.jpg
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: New Ballard

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

JD;

Looks like a Ballard #2 Sporting rifle. With that bore diameter, it probably is a ,38 caliber, which by changing the firing pin (turning it around) can fire either rim or center fire ammunition.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
JohnnieDavis
Beginner

Post by JohnnieDavis »

ok that's what i thought, i've been told it's rare to see the peep sight on the rifle, any suggestions as to value?

thanks

JD
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

The tang sight is unusual on a #2, but not unusual for Ballards. The bore on your gun will likely slug to .375", as that would be std. for a .38 Long. The #2 Sporters are tough to pin down. As Ballards go, they are usually the most reasonably priced, and they go as low as $300-$400 on up to around $850, for average brown guns, with solid wood and good bores. I saw one sell here last Sat. for $425, and it was a decent gun, with good bore in .38 Long. I thought it was underpriced, and would have grabbed it quickly if I had been faster!
The tang sight on your gun is the late style thick base used from the mid 1880's to early 1890's on Ballards. It's worth an extra $300 or so alone!
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!