any info on this one?

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

CharlestonRelics
Beginner

any info on this one?

Post by CharlestonRelics »

Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I think it is a #2 is is set up as a Center fire. The barrel is Just under 17". You can see multiple photos at the link I posted. If I posted anything in the writeup that it incorrect please let me know. I need to sell this one ASAP http://charlestonrelics.com/shop/index. ... cts_id=224 I normal never buy a gun that I cant drop powder down the barrel and ram a ball in. This gun Is a little to new for my blood.
CharlestonRelics
Beginner

Re: any info on this one?

Come on folks I would love some impute on this gun! :?
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

You most certainly do have a #2 Ballard, and most have the rectangular shaped reversible firing pin to shoot either rimfire or centerfire. Flayderman's lists "very good" as $625. With a chopped barrel, no finish, and pitting, you may have to hold onto it for awhle. I buy a lot of #2 Ballards, and they rarely get what Norm's book lists them at unless they're pretty darn nice. Hope you're not into it too deeply!
The only thing I see that is missing is the "harpoon" elevator for the rear sight. The front sight looks to be too far back for an original location, which would be almost exactly 1" to center of the dovetail for Marlin Ballards.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
CharlestonRelics
Beginner

If any one wants it you can have it for $400 free shipping
CharlestonRelics
Beginner

Center of the dovetail it 7/8" back. It was in a grouping of other guns In a small collection. I just need to dump it out of inventory. Most Civil War shows don't like seeing post war firearms on the table. Like I said, $400 and I ship to the lower 48 for free.
ssdave
Beginner

Post by ssdave »

I'll take the ballard from you, I've been looking for one. Sent you an email also.

regards,
dave