No. 6-1/2 Rigby and .40-65 Everlasting

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

JoJoDo
Beginner

No. 6-1/2 Rigby and .40-65 Everlasting

Post by JoJoDo »

I originally posted a not back in March about a No.6-1/2 Rigby Ballard I bought. After doing a chamber cast and sending it on to the professionals, it was determined that this was .40-65 Everlasting. Since then I bought new brass from Rocky Mountain Cartridge and ordered loading dies from CH4-D.

The last part I need is a bullet mould. Any suggestions? I think Cartridges of the World lists an old Lyman mould that is no longer available. I am happy to have a new mould made in anyone can give me dimensions or any other help. Thank you ...
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: No. 6-1/2 Rigby and .40-65 Everlasting

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

JoJoDo;

According to John Dutcher's book, Ballard, The Great American Single Shot Rifle, (page 308) the .40-65 Ballard Everlasting cartridge utilized a 330 grain bullet as the standard size.
I hope this helps.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

It's a true .40 cal. as it uses a .403" bullet usually. You'll neeed to slug the bore to be sure what it is, but if you have capabilities for bullet sizing you can buy a mold to cast the heavy 300 gr. .41 Mag bullets and size them down to fit your bore. You can also check with NEI in Texas or the web, and they can build you a custom mold for your bore size. Check page 8 or 9 of the online catalog. I think page 8 has numerous choices in .40 caliber molds. NEI makes good molds.
http://www.neihandtools.com/catalog.html
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
JoJoDo
Beginner

Post by JoJoDo »

Thanks for all your input. I did finally slug the bore and believe it or not it is 0.412 ! Does anyone have a lead on one original cartridge that I can use to mic? I don't even know if this was a paper-patched cartridge. If it was paper patched that might explain some of the difference between Cartridges of the World 0.403 and my own measurements. I am so confused and because this is an original rifle with an excellent bore, I don;t want to screw this up! Thanks again, Joe
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

The .40-65 Everlasting was indeed a paper patch bullet, but I believe it was also offered in a lubed bullet, so it depends on what you want to shoot when you figure bullet diameter. If it's a paper patch, then you'll need to use the smaller bullet, and patch material to make up the difference.
I've used bullets with lube grooves, (and even lubed bullets) with patches, and it didn't seem to be a problem. I think you can find several places to get bullet molds made up for either use in the correct 300-330 gr. weight. B&D Molds, NEI, and even Lyman make molds in the size and weight you need.
Quarter_Bore
Beginner

Post by Quarter_Bore »

I have owned and shot several Marlin Ballard .40 caliber rifles and all measured .412 groove diameter. I always shot breech seated , but you could probably get the everlasting cases made to hold .412 diameter bullets. Any of those mentioned can make you a correct mold or if you can find a used Lyman mold for the .405 winchester that will work too.
SteveA
Beginner

Post by SteveA »

I have an original Ballard #5 Pacific model marked 40-63. I this the same as the 40-65 Everlasting? I have never shot it or slugged the bore, But the bore is in pretty good condition. Thanks,
Steve
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

The .40-65 EL and the .40-63EL are interchangeable. The difference is internally in the thicker sidewalls of the .40-63, which reduced the powder capacity.
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

At our last gun show in Puyallup, I bought a 40-60 Marlin that came with a custom mold. Guy told me he did a chamber cast and they made the mold to fit his rifle. Don't recall who made it but should be able to have it done by Lee or one of the other mold makers. If you are interested in doing it let me know and I will check the mold and see if there is any info on who made it.
GBOT, GBUSA